Dean '79 RI Z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dean '79 RI Z

Man I gotta tell you guys those frikkin Dean RI's are outta this world good! Been playing my TCS Z for about 3 days now and I already wrote a song on her! Smooth action set down low and the Zebra's aren't bad either(although they will be replaced next week with a SD JB and an SH2 in the neck).
    Just wanted to crow about it. It is nice that someone other than Jackson can still make nice guitars.

Re: Dean \'79 RI Z

I've played several of Greg Crowe's vintage USA Deans, and I've had a few USA babys (a Z and currently have an ML) and I checked out an ML '79 at the local music store.

It was nice, but didn't feel like the 'real thing' at all. pretty mahogany, nice construction... but against the real thing, it wasn't much. Might have been that particular guitar tho.

Pete

Comment

I don't know about the ML.

I have to say my 79 "Z" plays pretty much like.. well, a 79 "Z"

It compares to the TC series in terms of playability, not in workmanship of course.

It is made from a cheaper mahogany to be sure, which makes it lighter.

This guitar is the nicest playing guitar I currently own, not that I have fancy guitars... but in terms of feel I have to put it at least equal to some of my Jackson/Charvels, better than others and ahead of my old school Nashville made Explorer

It certainly is the best import I've owned in at least a decade... only my M2 feels as comfortable.

The "acoustics-unplugged tone" and sustain on this bigass plank of wood are really impressive...

Dean has a winner if they can get them in the stores, priced like an EPI, but quality to spare..

Comment

I have a pair of 82 ML's, and I went and checked out a 79 ML at a local store. I didn't like it a bit, I thought it sounded bad, played bad, and the craftsmanship was pretty poor. It seemed like a real nice guitar for $500 but it was no american ML. I'm glad you like the one you have. I must have just gotten ahold of a bad one.

congrats!
        Derek

Comment

Derek -

Was it the one at Music Sound World? Same one I checked out if it was...

Pete

Comment

the old Deans are probably one of the best setneck guitars. IMO the USA Hamers are the only set necks that compare. granted i havnt played either brands recent USA guitars, but i hope there as good as the older models

Comment

Well in all honesty I have never played an actual 79 Dean anything. My other guitarist has and has told me flat out "this is no 79". I can understand that. I will say the guitar still kicks ass! I have an early 90's Korean ML that is a real good player as well and the Z plays better imho. My other guitarist liked mine so much he now wants his.
              As a side note the Z that I purchased is left handed and as I understand it from Armidillo guitars, there were only 16 or so made to see if they would sell. So there might have been a little extra care taken with these 16.
              Still no replacement for my Jacksons but pretty cool none the less.

Comment

Originally posted by OklaStrat:
                Derek -

Was it the one at Music Sound World? Same one I checked out if it was...

Pete
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah Pete, the trans sunburst one with cream binding. It was pretty poorly made, and sounded like wet socks...

Comment

Well, I had 3 vintage Deans back in the early 80's, and my '79 RI ML and V feel really close to my originals. The sound is not that great....they need better pickups, but for the price they are great guitars...at least to me. I love the way they play and feel. I bought the matching white w/black binding for both the ML and V. I'm really happy with them. Yeah, there are some little things that need to be addressed, but they are pretty cool axes in my book. I really like the abalone dot inlays...usually those don't come on lower-end guitars. Anyway, I like 'em. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  Dana <~~~

[ February 18, 2003, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: guitarforceone ]
                  '85 Rhoads Custom
                  '86 SD Str*t
                  '86 Model 4 (5)
                  '87 Model 1
                  '87 Model 6
                  '88 Model 3DR
                  '90 650 XL
                  '94 KE-3
                  '97 DR Amberburst
                  '97 Dinky BOFlames
                  '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

I don't think they are bad on their own merit, but if you grab one thinking it's going to be a budget USA '79 Dean in feel and tone, guess again. At least in my opinion.

Pete

Comment

I think Elliot, the owner of Dean, has done a great job of bringing one of the best values for your dollar to the market. All of the Korean made Deans are far far better than I would expect. Like Oklastrat said, I shouldnt be comparing them to my vintage american ML's.

Comment

Working...
                      X