Kramer EVH question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kramer EVH question

Hey does anybody have an idea on what a Kramer 5150 might be worth? It's a recently made guitar by Eddies former guitar tech Rudy ( I dont remember his last name) and painted BY Lee Garver at GMW. The guitar is dead mint and is well in a word Awsome. Just wondering what something like this might be worth on the used market. I have a customer that was curious about his and may want to sell it. Any help would be great
    Gil

Re: Kramer EVH question

Maybe this is why Eddie trademarked his paint scheme......

-eric

Comment

Yeah it could be why Eddie patented the ID. however; what would something like this be worth?
      I may want to buy it and dont wnat to pay too much for it. Even though it is my holy grail. Any help would be great guys.

Thanks
      Gil

Comment

Hum, may depend on how good a builder he is. I've never heard any comment on how good he is. In fact, I have never heard of anyone who has ever seen his work. If you can, ask him for references. (Seems like if he was good he would have already developed a reputation.....)

I don't think he originally built Eddie's stuff....(?)

Is he just trading off of Eddie's name?

--eric

[ February 20, 2003, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: abalonevintage ]

Comment

Average for a GOOD EVH clone, is about $500-600.

If it's based on a USA Kramer bannana head.

Comment

Its not based on a Kramer banana head. It is a Kramer banana head. Kramer neck plate and all.
            Gil

Comment

American or Focus?

does the headstock tilt back?

Comment

American. Non slanted headstock, Kramer strat style body, single hum, chrome floyd. This is the real deal. and its plays fantasticly. It was assembled from old US Kramer parts by Eddies old tech and painted by Lee at GMW. Its beautiful.
                And is Identicle to Eddies own.
                Gil

Comment

If it's original Kramer parts and the paintwork done by Lee at GMW, what's the big deal about screwing 4 screws and a neckplate on? I wouldn't call that "built". Anybody here could put that together. It doesn't sound like anything extroridarily special to me. I'd value it as exactly what it is, Kramer parts painted by GMW, maybe $600-$650.

Comment

Greg's right on the money with the valuation.
                    Just as an FYI though, if the guitar is stock USA parts, it won't be identical to Eddie's 5150... His headstock was always different from production Kramers, plus he used an earlier Pacer Special body.

Comment

I think there's a certain level of saturation of EVH type guitars out there right now.

I absolutely REFUSE to repaint my Kramers.

The world does not need another trashed, striped knockoff.

Comment

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. Thats kinda what i was afraid of. Out of curiosity how did the Pacer custom body differ and the headstock too? I've compaired it to a pic of the one Eddie plays and it looks identical as far as i can tell.
                        Gil

Comment

Here's Eddie's 5150:

and here's a production "hockey" headstock:

Also a hockey headstock was never made on a one-hum Pacer Special body... The Pacer Special came with the "classic" headstock from the factory.
                          Hope this clarifies things. Eddie's guitar was always a mutt, frequently just a custom axe with the Kramer name slapped on top of it. There are accounts of him hand-picking parts from the Kramer factory, but his necks were definitely always different than any production Kramers.
                          Here's a Pacer Special used as the basis of Eddie's axe:

[ February 23, 2003, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: AimingHigh ]

Comment

Thanks man. That pic of Eddies 5150 looks exactly like the one in question. Larger headstock and the star too boot. The neck and body on the one in question were actual left over parts from Eddies stash of Kramer parts.
                            Its not just some knock off guitar with the striped graphic. It's an exact replica with the real parts he used. Is it still only worth 500-600 bucks?
                            Gil

Comment

Hi Gil, yes the value is about $600... and there are also folks out there like VH-Guitarstore or Meanstreetguitars who make their own bodies/necks and can also build an exact replica. Check out www.vh-guitarstore.com

Cheers,
                              George

Comment

Working...
                              X