Newer Ibanez Sabres...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newer Ibanez Sabres...

The other guitarist in my band has a current line Ibanez Sabre (this exact model http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar...A160QM&color=1 ) and I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on them...I played his and it played nice, sounded good, and reminded me alot of my Dinky...Now, he's in love with my Rhoads STD and talks occasionally about wanting to try and trade his Sabre for his old Ibanez that he sold to a friend, so would you guys say that for someone who like's Strat/Dinky shaped bolt ons and a bright guitar tone, offering him the Rhoads for the Sabre would be a fair deal on my part?

Re: Newer Ibanez Sabres...

HOLD ON NOW... dude you have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!!! That's the CHEAP... LOW END MODEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why you would trade a nice neck thru Rhoads for a bunch of Korean bunk is beyond me.

Comment

By the way... it's not known as a Sabres anymore... that Sabres and S series are different models I think.

Comment

Apparently Ibanez doesn't make a high-end SA configuration guitar then because that's as high as they get [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Guess I ain't trading for it if it's the trash you make it out to be...Wanna trade me your Green Dinky for the Rhoads Word? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

In all seriousness though, the guitar didn't seem very bad at all...Nice action, pickups sounded pretty good, comfortable neck, ah well...Sucks that Ibanez doesn't make a decent Sabre, I like them a lot more then the other crap they make...On an unrelated note, I'm still drooling over the trans-blue 1990 Stealth Pro that was on the Bay a while back...I wish I'd had the measily $250 for the BIN [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

[ February 16, 2003, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: DumpyWumpy ]

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Of course u know the people here aren't gonna take too friendly to the Ibanez. I'd say, go to another board, and get an opinion from there.

Comment

Dude they do make high end Ibanez S series... just look under S series on their site and look at the ones with the floyds. Duh! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

...and Lina, I'm one of the very few who's favorite company is both Jackson and Ibanez.

Comment

Tsk Tsk Word, I said SA configuration! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Ah well, just figured I'd ask...

Comment

I had the SA160QM - hated it. The neck didn't feel thin like an Ibanez should, and the pickups were REALLY weak - more like something you should find in a Fender. Not typical for Ibanez at all. I have a couple S-Classics I really like, but I am selling them to get some "more useful" (read "cooler") guitars - BC Rich Gunslingers and ST-3's. I have the SCA220 and the SC420. They both play terrific and sound good. Wraparound tailpieces make them easy to tune wherever as well. They are SOOOO light too - porbably a great stage guitar. They're mahogany, so they still sound pretty full.

But the SA160 - a true abortion. I liked the bridge though.

Comment

oh okies Word ^.^ I'd like to have jackson as a favorite, but *shrugs* never tried a USA modle. I'm sure there's not much difference in them between that and the Performer i played. i mean, they're both guitars, so there can't be THAT big of a difference. right? *cox head*

Comment

The SA series stands for Sucks Ass. LOL
                    Anyway Ibanez does still make The H/S/S configuration in a Prestige line of a Sabre. And yes Word they are still called Sabres Thats were the S came from. The origianl series was a Sabre and it then changed to just simply S series.
                    The S series guitars are mohagaony with a wizard II neck. A little thicker than the Wizards on the Rg series. The pups do suck on the SA's but you can get a better guitar for the money if you look at used like a 520S which is form the early 90s. Mohagony body with the Wizard II neck
                    and dimarzio made pups with a Edge trem.
                    Yeah it might be a little rough but its still a descent guitar and is usually about 400-500 bucks depending on condition and options.
                    Gil
                    Or just get a Jackson Stealth

Comment

Lina the Performers where well made Japanes guitars. However they dont hold a canlde to the US made stuff. More select woods, Duncan pickups,Real Floyd Rose trem, bretter finish and better neck. LArger frets bound neck and headstock (on most), Ebony board vs the rosewood.
                      Don't even get me started girl. Whooooooooops too late.
                      Gil

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK:
                        The SA series stands for Sucks Ass. LOL
                        Anyway Ibanez does still make The H/S/S configuration in a Prestige line of a Sabre. And yes Word they are still called Sabres Thats were the S came from. The origianl series was a Sabre and it then changed to just simply S series.
                        The S series guitars are mohagaony with a wizard II neck. A little thicker than the Wizards on the Rg series. The pups do suck on the SA's but you can get a better guitar for the money if you look at used like a 520S which is form the early 90s. Mohagony body with the Wizard II neck
                        and dimarzio made pups with a Edge trem.
                        Yeah it might be a little rough but its still a descent guitar and is usually about 400-500 bucks depending on condition and options.
                        Gil
                        Or just get a Jackson Stealth
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree on the stealth. I recently JUST missed a Professional series (REAL one, MOP inlay, blueburst flame, ebony f-board) for $250 on eBay. WAHH! Those early 90's pros WERE as good as US models in many opinions, BTW. Oh, well, My EX is OK, too.

But I also like the sabers. Here's some slight corrections:

1) Most Japanese models (540, 520, 1220, 1520) have or had the wizard, not the wizard II which is usually found on Korean models. The Wizard is THIN - like a Stealth neck. Make sure it isn't warped when buying! The exception is the high line 2120, which has a thicker Ultra neck - my fave IBZ neck.

2) The history of standard Japanese models (don't get a Korean one)

Prestige models - 2020, 2120, 1520 - the ones to get if you want to pay that much.

540S/S540 were made from 1987-1998 IMO the 93-94 540S were the best non-prestige sabres ever made, and you can get them used for $300.

The 520 was made in 2001. Basically a 540 with ugly "wave" inlays & an oil finish.

The 1220 was made in 2002 - basically a 520 with a "prestige" neck.

Comment

Yeah I saw that Stealth on the bay, it went TWICE without anyone picking it up for $250....I'm a broke 15 year old otherwise that guitar woulda been mine...

I think my next guitar is gonna be an SLSMG...now I just gotta figure out how I'm gonna pay for one [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by DumpyWumpy:
                            Yeah I saw that Stealth on the bay, it went TWICE without anyone picking it up for $250....I'm a broke 15 year old otherwise that guitar woulda been mine...

I think my next guitar is gonna be an SLSMG...now I just gotta figure out how I'm gonna pay for one [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I missed the first auction. Then on the second, I was e-mailing with the guy and offered the $250 as an unofficial "buy it now". He said he had another offer and would take the auction down the next day (it was supposed to end like 5 days later). He ended it on the last day. I didn't want to bid in the meantime in case he did have a good offer and was waiting for payment. But I was watching, and I would've bid in the last minutes if it was still on. I was disappointed when it ended. A deal like THAT doesn't come around very often.

Comment

I have a 92 Stealth Pro and it's still my favorite guitar. It was my first Jackson and a definate keeper for life. All my other guitars and any future ones are compaired to that l'il Stealth. I have two other Stealths a n EXand an HX but they just dont compaire to the Pro. Its unreal. I bought mine new back in 92 and would love to have another of that caliber but I'll just have to settle for what I got right now.
                              Gil

Comment

Working...
                              X