Any Comments on Washburn N4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Comments on Washburn N4

I won a bid on a Washburn N4 . I is complete with the exception of the the pickups. I figured I had some dimarzios laying around and I'd put them to good use. I may eventually restore the guitar with the pickups it originally came with, but for now I'll just see what it sounds like with dimarzios.

Any comments on this type of guitar. I figure for $300 and USA made it should be worth it.
    Damn, I love this Interweb.

Re: Any Comments on Washburn N4

They play very well, that I can verify.

Comment

i found them to be very nice for what they were...d.m.
      http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

My cousin had one and liked it, and he's got proper Les Paul's (a Standard and a Custom)

James

Comment

I have 12 Washburns currently, most being USAs. That is a great price for an N4. I've never seen that finish on an N4 before though......Since its a USA Washburn the build quality will be flawless and the parts will be top notch..........

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I really wanted to try out the stephens cutaway. I have read a lot of great remarks on Harmony Central.

I have had such bad G.A.S. lately. I must really reek. I spent $700 in the last week. and $1700 last month. Is there any help for us addicts.

I just noticed that they have started making the N4 again. They have a list price of $1699 I guess you can't go wrong for $300. It's not a Pre Pro Bullseye for $450 but hopefully it will be one of my various little slices of heaven. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Check out the new versions:

N4 Relic

N4ESA

Comment

Congratulations! That should be one killer guitar when you're done!

That finish is either a Paduak Stain finish, or may actually be made of Paduak
              wood - the grain looks like it, though the guy said it's swamp ash. Paduak is an Asian hardwood that's endangered now, so they devised a stain that's similarin color.

An N4 "relic" is sort of funny - "Yep, I
              got this N4 relic so it looks like a vintage 1992 model!" LOL!
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

The one on the bottom looks like swamp ash.

Comment

(double post)

[ February 14, 2003, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: grandpa ]

Comment

ooohhhhh....I like the relic! I was a big Nuno fan until they got past their debut album...then it was all downhill! But he had some killer guitar stuff going on on the first disc!

Comment

Keith, excellent score for the price. I've got two N4's, a swamp ash with the licensed floyd like yours. That neck is pretty chunky, like my ESP Kamikazis. Perhaps that's why James' cousin with the les pauls liked his. My other N4 came with the Kahler/floyd and kahler nut and is a lot thinner, more J/C like. I much prefer that neck.

These Stephen's necks are awesome, especially the freedom they provide in the upper frets. It's surprizing these aren't seen on more guitars.

By the way, by the position of the bridge saddles on your guitar it looks like it needs a serious intonation adjustment.

Comment

I got my N4 last week. It plays like butter. Very light and well balanced. I installed a dimarzio super III in the bridge and evolution in the neck, but still don't think those pickups do the guitar justice. Do you guys have any ideas on pickups that will sound good on a swamp ash body. I have a Dimarzio Fred and a SD Full Shred. Do you guys think one of these will sound better in the bridge position. Heres a pic.

Comment

The stalk pup's sounded great in those. (L500 Bill Lawrence) The neck pup is nice too. 59' Great score Keith!
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Yeah I was considering getting the stock pickups from ebay, but I am considering some PRS pickups.

Comment

That looks like the Paduac wood and finish. If the finish is clear coated it will rub off and stain ligtht colored cloths. Seen it happen. It's also a toxic finish when absorbed into the skin. Thats one of the reason they don't do it the old way any more (not clear coated).When I worked at MGR we sold those at $599.99 as over stock and clearance directly from Washburn. They were nice,real thin necks and very confortable to play. The body's a little small on me but oh well they played great. Sounded really good too. The Lawrance sounded great. Maybe you should go for the original pups as replacements.
                              Gil

Comment

Working...
                              X