Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMW Charvel Strathead replica

Hello folks:

I've decided to place an order for a GMW Charvel replica. The guitar will have the following features:

Alder body
    Maple neck and fretboard
    Floyd Rose tremolo
    Black chrome hardware
    Straplocks

The thing is that I want the guitar to have two humbuckers and a pickguard. What kind of suggestions in terms of pickups and color combinations would you give me for this guitar.

I play metal, hard rock and "shred" type music.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Re: GMW Charvel Strathead replica

"pre-aged" 3 tone sunburst...look like an old strat that's had the hell beat out of it...those are cool when done right...d.m.
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Not with 2hums or Black hardwares but this one was made by GMW.

Comment

Pickups - how about the Duncan Custom/Jazz combo in Zebra. On the GMW site, check out the Empire guitars for sale - a lot of them have this combo.

Color...hrm...someone else mentioned the "pre-aged" look. My favorite of all time is the look of a 45-year-old Strat in Cherry Sunburst where all the red has faded to light orange. Most manufacturers have started offering the "faded cherry sunburst" look (Jackson included), but I haven't seen one I like as well as the real thing.

Comment

Hello Dinkyjacksonman:

What kind of pickups do you have in your GMW guitars? I have a Peavey Triple XXX amp modded by Voodoo Amps and would like to have pickups that will give me a lot of bottom end, but without sounding too harsh on the top end. I was thinking about a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and maybe a PAF in neck, but still I'm undecided. Anyway, I guess I'll have to wait till Tuesday to place my order since GMW closes on Monday.

Comment

I have a single-hum GMW with a Super Distortion, and it sounds killer. Highly recommended, especially with an alder body and maple/maple neck.

Tone is always subject to opinions but, IMHO, it's a very versatile PU. For instance, the SD PU is also extremely well-suited for coil splitting to get nice "strat-like" clean tones.

Comment

Originally posted by Econ:
              Hello Dinkyjacksonman:

What wood do you choose for your GMW guitar bodies? Alder?

Lee tells me that if I want a charvel strathead replica with two humbuckers then it will take 7-8 weeks. If I decide to go with only one humbucker then is 7-10 days. I just don't know what to do now. I've had both Dimarzios and Duncan in my guitars, so I just don't know what to choose. For my first GMW guitar I choose Duncans (jb and jb.jr) and they sound good, but I would like something with more "umph", more bottom but still defined and not too harsh. I thought about Dimarzio Super Distortion but still don't know. I use to have a Dimarzio Tone Zone and it sounded good, but it was in a basswood guitar. I wonder how they sound in an alder guitar.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It is nice to have 2 hums.I dont know why Lee said 7-10days with 1 hum.I am sure he has a body routed with 1 hum already just need of putting parts on.
              My GMW is Alder body.Alder is the best wood for the price and tone.
              If you have money, I would recommend to go with maple top and Alder or Basswood back but with this wood combination,Lee will take 6-9months to build(I am waiting for mine since October and said wil be done in March).
              And Alder with Tone Zone, it sounds great.I tried with Duncan Distortion which sounded too trebly.
              I never liked Dimarzio Super Distortion.I had that pickup in Charvel Strat.Too muddy and not defined and very noisy.
              If you would go with Dimarzio,Tone Zone is a great pickup for Alder or any other wood.
              For the neck position,Like I said, Air Norton is nice choice.if you want less gain,Virtual Paf is cool too.Ask Lee.He said my guitar was the first guitar to go with this pickup and Dan and Lee both liked it a lot when they tried at thier shop.
              Dimarzio pickups are GREAT.
              That Silver GMW Above came with Duncan Custom and little 59 wen I bought it.It was not my choice.
              It has been sitting in the case since I bought it because I don't like the pickups.
              I would need to change these pickups with Dimarzio Tone Zone and Dimarzio Noiseless single pickup so I can play the guitar.

[ February 10, 2003, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: dinkyjacksonman ]

Comment

Now I'm facing this dilema. I really wanted a two humbuicker guitar, but I to have the guitar as soon as possible. There is a guy from the forum who is offering me a GMW two humbucker Charvel strathead replica. The guitar looks like it is in mint condition. He is offering the guitar for 800 bucks. These are my options:

1. Buy the used GMW Charvel Strathead replica
                2. Buy a new GMW Charvel Strathead replica with only one humbucker (7-10 day delivery time)
                3. Buy GMW 2 humbucker Charvel Strathead Replica (7-8 weeks delivery time).

What do you think I should do?

Comment

If the GMW that the JCF member is ofering you is what you really want(including pickups,color of the body and hardwares,neck size),you should go for it.
                  If not, you should order a new one and wait for 7-8weeks.

Comment

I'm waiting for Lee to see if he has any painted charvel bodies in stock. If that is the case, then I'm gonna order from Lee. If not, I'll get the used Charvel. The guitar is what I want the way it is, except for the fact it has a Duncan Dimebucker in the bridge. I think I'm gonna swap that for A Custom or even a Custom 5. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Hi Econ,the guitar has Duncan Custom and little 59.
                      If you like Dimarzio,Tone Zone is a great pickup in the lead position.
                      And Air Nrtn or Virtual PAF in the neck osition.
                      My GMW Blue Dinky(the pic under my ID) has Tone zone and Virtual PAF in neck.
                      For Duncan, 59 in the neck position and JB in teh lead positin would be great.

Comment

Hello Dinkyjacksonman:

What wood do you choose for your GMW guitar bodies? Alder?

Lee tells me that if I want a charvel strathead replica with two humbuckers then it will take 7-8 weeks. If I decide to go with only one humbucker then is 7-10 days. I just don't know what to do now. I've had both Dimarzios and Duncan in my guitars, so I just don't know what to choose. For my first GMW guitar I choose Duncans (jb and jb.jr) and they sound good, but I would like something with more "umph", more bottom but still defined and not too harsh. I thought about Dimarzio Super Distortion but still don't know. I use to have a Dimarzio Tone Zone and it sounded good, but it was in a basswood guitar. I wonder how they sound in an alder guitar.

Comment

Either way, don't rush into something you don't want - wait and get it exactly the way you want it. That's the point of a custom guitar.

Comment

Hold the phone, what about the fact that some early san dimas strats had poplar wood? I've had 2 and I think they sounded fatter, and sustained a bit more, and what i really liked is the feedback after slamming a note, I cant do that with the same settings on the amp?? Any feedback? (no pun intended) [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

How hard is it to route for an extra pup? That estimate sounds wack. If GMW is that good, it should take no time at all to add another standard pup route.

Comment

Working...
                              X