Samick Neck-Thru Ebony?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samick Neck-Thru Ebony?

I saw a Black Samick guitar that is a Neck-Thru,ebony board, MOP sharkfins,Real Kahler Pro,2 Hums, made in Late 80`s? Anyway, are these things any good? They have a ton of features for the price [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Jack.

Re: Samick Neck-Thru Ebony?

I have a dark blue one, from 1990, S-S-Hum, identical except for color to ebay #2504127686. I disagree with his mention of LP type neck, mine feels very Charvel/Jackson. It plays very very well, is a good compliment to my Soloists/Dinkys/Charvel Model guitars. Low action, very fast, easy playing neck. Even the stock pickups sound decent. One note, although the fingerboard looks ebony, it is really a special type of plastic, similar to what Peavey used on their Vortex V guitars. You never notice it though, as it looks and feels like wood, plus its easier to keep clean! Excellent deal for the $200 I paid about 5 years ago. I don't think they made very many of these. The guy I bought it from got it from a Samick Rep. What price is the one your looking at?

Comment

$250-No Case [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Did yours come with a Case? Maybee I can negotiate on price [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Also, what is the body and neck wood? Where were these guitars made? Thanks-Jack.

[ February 01, 2003, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: slayer ]

Comment

That aint no Kahler, its an unliecenced clone. Remember you get what you pay for. They are all right for a beater, but dont expect it to be a great guitar............

Comment

Accept2: the guitar slayer is looking at is a 2 hum one, the one in ebay I mentioned just for reference, so the one he's looking at might have the 'real' branded Kahler. Mine has the official Kahler Pro Cam.

slayer: not sure of the body wood, but it weighs about the same as my soloist. All Samicks are made in Korea. Mine for $200 was without case. See if you can get it for $200 to $225.

Comment

I`ll be honest here and say it is the one on Ebay and the guy sais it does have a real Khaler and it has Patent #`s on it? Anyway, he sais it has real ebony board, but he may not know it is plastic? Maybee I can deal with away from Ebay if he doesn`t sell it there [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks guys-Jack.

Comment

I asked the seller to make sure it is a USA Khaler, and he said it was, so I made a deal for $200 plus Shipping, I hope I didn`t get spanked on this deal [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Anyways, it seams to have alot of features for $200. I have never seen a Neck Thru guitar made in Korea, I guess this will be my first [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Arbor made a bunch of neckthroughs in the 80's. I'm pretty sure they were made in Korea as well. A friend of mine had a Bengal Tiger stripe Explorer that looked great.

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by slayer:
                  I`ll be honest here and say it is the one on Ebay and the guy sais it does have a real Khaler and it has Patent #`s on it? Anyway, he sais it has real ebony board, but he may not know it is plastic? Maybee I can deal with away from Ebay if he doesn`t sell it there [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks guys-Jack.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That one on Ebay does look like a real Kahler Pro. The closeup is still a bit blurry but there's a diagonal blurry shape on the treble side that matches the
                  Kahler stamp on mine.

That guy's Buy it Now is insane though!
                  I doubt he'll get the $250 opener quite
                  frankly, so you should get to negotiate with him later. Good luck and I hope you like it!
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

you know what, I decided not to get this guitar, my gut tells me it may be cheap and hard to sell if I don`t like it, did I do the right thing [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

I think for $200, even if you couldn't unload the guitar as a whole, you could part it out and make the $200. Honestly, a friend of mine had the exact same guitar only bolt on and with a cheap strat type bridge, and only dot fret markers (still bound though). It wasn't the nicest looking guitar in the world, but it did have great pickups, a nice solid feel to it, and the neck was super straight. I really enjoyed playing it. Then again, for $200 you could get a cheap used Jackson.
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

slayer, can understand your trepidation on getting this. FYI, I played mine last night, and was very impressed with the pickups (as zeegler stated also!). I have been going thru a phase lately of getting and trying pickups, EMGs, Duncan original trembucker, duncan JB, Jackson J50B, etc, in some of my guitars, and I gotta say the Samick humbucker sounded very good thru my Vetta combo. The neck was very comfortable. My Jacksons/Charvels are either USA or Japan, and I would say the Samick held its own up to the Japan ones in playing and quality. I haven't been too impressed with the Jacksons that come out of Korea. I've got tons-o-guitars (J/C, ESP, BC Rich, Ibanez, Robin, etc) so I haven't played the Samick in a long while so it was a pleasant surprize to re-discover how good it was. Maybe you could talk the guy into including shipping with the $200???

Comment

Thanks MD!! I may just rry that if he hasn`t sold it already. I know it is probably worth it, but I am used to Hamer USA and Jackson USA guitars, I just don`t know how much of a let down it would be or if I would play it at all [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Jack, I hear ya on the USAs (I've 3 USA Hamers), but its also nice to have a good playing guitar that you don't care as much about. When we have band practice right after work and I've gotta leave my gear in the truck all day, I'll leave the USAs at home and grab something like this Samick instead. Also nice to have if the stage is so crowded you might hit cymbols or stands with your guitar!

Comment

It's not the same thing, but I once bought a Samick fretless bass that absolutely SMOKED any bass I've owned before or after. I love my Charvel basses, but the neck on that Samick was made for setting some world speed records. Unfortunately, I was no Steve DiGiorgio and decided to part with it in favor of a Charvel 3B. While I don't regret getting the Charvel, I miss the Samick. I've also played a couple of their Jackson copies, a Rhoads and a Dinky, and was extremely impressed.

Then again, I have no problem with Korean instruments if they're put together properly. After owning a Dean EVO, I'm convinced that they can make some very nice axes.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X