GIBSON LP Custom Experts....HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIBSON LP Custom Experts....HELP

Just picked up a used LP Custom and need to know a bit more about it. S/N 90794001. I will describe it the best I can.

1) Gloss black except for a trans black Quilt top.
    2) Headstock overlay is also kind of trans black when you look at it in the light.
    3) Aged binding.
    4) No metal shield in control cavity.
    5) No volute.
    6) No "Made in USA"
    The hardware on it now is chrome but all the gold hardware, Gibson Deluxe tuners with the plastic pearl buttons and black tophat knobs were included in the tweed case.

This guitar caught my eye and I bought it. I was wondering if it was a reissue of some sort. I have no way of posting pics. Thanks for your help.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Re: GIBSON LP Custom Experts....HELP

Anyone??? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Mosey on over the the Les Paul Forum with that question and you WILL get answers.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/base.html

They are a good bunch.

Comment

Chuck, thanks for turning me on to that Les Paul Forum!
        Scott

Comment

90794001...It's a '94...{Gibby uses the FIRST and FIFTH digits}...It was built on March 17th {the 79th day of the year - digits 2-4} and was the FIRST GUITAR OFF the LINE that day {digits 6-8}...At LEAST, THAT is what MY Blue Book is showing !!!! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[ January 30, 2003, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Doc Dryer ]

Comment

Cool info Doc. I knew about the year but not the rest.

M

Comment

Thanks Doc.
              Scott

Comment

Trans Black top should indicate the Joe Perry model, but did they have that model in 94?
                Then again, maybe that was the base model that Joe Perry took as his sig model? His had a white pickguard and white pickup rings, but I'm sure he added those later.

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

As Matt said, the serial number you quote is 1994 built, but not Historic. A Gibson Historic would have a different serial number format (i.e. for a Historic Custom Black Beauty '57) it would be something like 7 4xxx. Where the 7 indicates the original year ('57, '58, '59, '60 etc) & the 4 equals the year of manufacture - in this example 1994. Customs have block (not trapezoid) inlays starting at the first fret.

Trans Black sounds nice (I have a trans black Standard DC myself) & unusual, though.

Hope this helps.

Email me a pic if you can. I may be able to supply more info.

Graham

Comment

Sorry - my email address is [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                    X