What happened to Kramer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Kramer?

What the hell happened to Kramer? Didn't just about everyone play a Kramer back in the day? I know Gibson bought them out, but could someone around here explain some details as to what happened?

[ January 28, 2003, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: IRM ]

Re: What happened to Kramer?

Basically, Kramer partied their money away and forgot to pay endorsers and Mr. Floyd Rose. By 1990, this had caught up to them and people were realizing that all those Kramer "American" guitars were being made out of Japanese parts. Endorsers jumped ship, Floyd Rose took back trem licensing agreements and the public didn't want anything to do with $1000+ Japanese guitars. Kramer died. Around 1996-97 Gibson bought the Kramer name and sat on it for a few years until releasing the new Music Yo Kramers in 1999.

Comment

Heh, partied their money away? Then I guess it's pretty fitting that a whole lot of 80s rock bands used them. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
      Kinda sucks though. I have heard some good things about those early Kramers.

[ January 28, 2003, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: IRM ]

Comment

Most classic heads are good.
        LATER banana heads are good. (NO early luthier Joint ones....UNLESS you are a luthier. [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] )
        Some Jap "pointy" head guitars are phenomenal.

Judge each guitar INDIVIDUALLY!

-eric

[ January 28, 2003, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: abalonevintage ]

Comment

I've got a couple of old baretta's and I love them. One is an early ugly EVH hockeystick that sound awesome! the other is a standard bannana head that sounds pretty good. I don't like any of the ESP made Kramers at all.

Comment

One of Kramer's biggest downfalls was missing out on getting George Lynch an endorsement deal. They sent a rep to meet him at the airport one time after a show before he was to fly home, they showed up late, George didn't feel like waiting around and flew home... enter ESP. Then again, ESP Japan made most of the Kramers anyway. [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I think my *new* Kramer has the potential to be a better guitar than my 86 Pacer.

But to qualify that statement I need to point out that my *new* Kramer is not really a Kramer, its more like a cheap Jackson rip off.

But for a Cheap Jackson rip off.. its very, very, very nice.

I just compared it side by side to a Model6 it's almost identical in profile, neck heel, horns, cutouts, ect.. it's scary..

Comment

Working...
              X