Hamer USA Californian -- any experts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamer USA Californian -- any experts?

I'm a little rusty on my Hamer info, but I just scored what I believe to be a `91 USA Californian Elite, which I have on layaway at the local Guitar Center. Yes, I'll post pics and more info when I bring her home, but it's definitely a PIMP guitar...gold metalflake over black, with gold hardware, ebony board, etc.

The pickups are EMGs, but I don't know what model. The bridge is a humbucker, and the neck slot is either a single coil or stacked humbucker. I know that the Cali Elite was available with a choice of pickups, including EMG, but haven't found any specific model info. Does anyone know more about this? Also, any idea what kind of wood might be under that finish? My `92 Elite is mahogany, but I know that there are maple Californians out there, and maybe others.
    sigpic

Re: Hamer USA Californian -- any experts?

According to my early '90s catalog, the Elite had Duncan Parallel Axis Trembucker bridge and Tremstack neck. Body was made with choice of either figured maple or mahogany.

The Deluxe had EMG 89/SA (push/pull volume pot for 89) with the active SPC midboost, body was made of alder.

Also, that color is called Gold Granite.

[ January 25, 2003, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Wow, I'd never heard of a Deluxe before, only the Elite and Custom (set neck) models. I didn't even think to check if the volume was a push-pull. Thanks for the info! I can't wait to get this thing home, but I decided that I'd put it on layaway until I have my taxes done...although the price I paid for it was practically criminal.
      sigpic

Comment

No problem. I've actually never heard of the Custom set neck model before.
        I've always loved the look of Hamers but never got one until recently. I bought a '95 USA Special FM from Pete (Oklastrat) and I really love it.

There's actually a pic of the black and gold granite Deluxe in my catalog, and it looks super sweet!!! It's got offset dot inlays with two boomerangs (one at 3rd fret and one at 12th). The Elite has just boomerangs down the board.

I actually just got a recent Hamer catalog, and they still make the Californian, but it's not USA made any more, no more slanted board, and they don't have the H/S configuration either. There's the CX2 with maple board and H/H, string-thru. The CX3 is H/S/H, string-thru. And the CX4 Quilt Top has H/H with licensed Floyd. There's also another version of the CX4 with S/S/S and vintage trem.

Congrats on the great USA Californian score!!
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
        X