Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson for Beginners???

Hey, guys, this is my first post.

I'm a beginner with only little knowledge on guitars. Can anyone suggest a good electric guitar for beginners (price range $300-700)? Yeah, I know, a lot of people suggest Squiers but I hate them and they are so cheap. Anyways, this is a Jackson forum, isn't it? [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I'm leaning towards the DXMG guitar, is it good?

Re: Jackson for Beginners???

Welcome dude!

The DXMG rocks!

Comment

Welcome to the board. Glad to have you here. I,m SARJ and I'm here to help.

1. Jackson is a great first guitar. Don't buy something because it's cheap, buy it because it's good.

2. My first guitar was a Fender Strat copy. It served me well, but was not suited to my type of music ( metal ) and was replaced. Buy what suits your style.

3. Comfort and playability is a big issue. If you can, test drive whatever axe you want to buy. Right there and then, you will know if it was meant to be yours.

4. You mentioned the DXMG. I will tell you right now, learn as much as you can about double locking tremelo bridges. If you go into one not knowing anything, you will be lost. Come here in the Tech Q&A section. We will help you. Get as much hands on experience you can. Locking trems are good, don't get me wrong.

5. A good model to start off with would be a Jackson DKMG with the stringthrough bridge. Beings that it is a non tremelo bridge, you wont have to worry about alot of moving parts and tuning hassles.

6. I own a Jackson DK2. I love the neck and the trem. It has a good feel to it. The necks on all Jackson guitars are thin and feel great. My DK2 is a keeper and sounds great.

7. The bodies on all the import Jacksons are alder and the necks are maple and the fretboards are rosewood. First Class all the way. The pickups are Duncan Design on the DK2 and on the DKMG and DXMG they are EMG HZ pickups. There's alot of mixed feelings on both, but for a new guy, you should be happy with them. When you have been playing for 19 years like me, you tend to get picky.

8. Most people go cheap at first and then upgrade. If you buy any of the above mentioned models, you won't really have to upgrade, but you will eventualy put some new pickups in as your tastes change or install an Origional Floyd Rose trem. You couldn't have picked a better guitar. With any of the above metioned guitars, you could be a beginner to really good to touring musician and still be playing your first guitar. Look around here at all the used Jacksons and Charvels that are 10, 15, 20 years old and still being bought and sold and best of all, played.

9. Try your new guitar through an amp that you intend to buy. If you try it out on a Marshall JCM800 half stack, it's going to sound kick a$$, but then when you buy that cheap 15 watt practice amp and take it home to jam, you will be disappointed. I can make a good amp suggestion, CRATE. Get a GFX 65 or GX65 if you can find one. Nothing less than 65 watts. I have a GX 65 as my main amp. Nothing sounds as good as my CRATE to me. I plugged it into a 4X12 cab and it made it even better. If CRATE amps don't sound good to you, Marshall, Randall and Fender make some realy affordable amps. Buy what sounds good to you.

I hope I havn't confused you in any way. I do my best to get as much info to new guitarists as I can. Nobody was realy there for me when I was getting started. I've helped alot of friends get started and most of them have the same rig they started with. If you get a good guitar, good amp and you love the sound, nothing can get in the way of the learning process. If you have any further questions that need answered as far as gear, shoot me an e-mail at [email protected]

Good luck

Comment

Regardless of the difficulty for a beginner in setting up a Floyd Rose-style tremolo, get one anyway, as you will most likely want one very soon, and it's better to have one and not use it than not have one and want to use it.
        I'd go with the DK2 or DKMG.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Villalobos:
          7. The bodies on all the import Jacksons are alder and the necks are maple and the fretboards are rosewood. First Class all the way. The pickups are Duncan Design on the DK2 and on the DKMG and DXMG they are EMG HZ pickups. There's alot of mixed feelings on both, but for a new guy, you should be happy with them. When you have been playing for 19 years like me, you tend to get picky.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are you sure that all import Jacksons are alder? Last time I checked my RR3 was supposedly poplar.

Comment

I'll have to disagree with Newc on this one--I always recommend that beginners start out with fixed bridge guitars. There's so much to learn when just starting out, that adding the intricacies of a floating trem just makes it that much more difficut, I say. Now, a blocked Floyd might be a different story...

Any new Jackson is going to be a good beginner guitar, because they are easy to play, so you don't have to fight the guitar while you are figuring out which finger goes where. I started out on a cheapo acoustic whose strings were way off the fretboard--when I finally got an electric, it was like a new world opening up to me.

Comment

Remember, if you want the one without the trem, get the DKMGT. The regular DKMG will have a licensed Floyd on it.

Comment

second vote for DKMGT, and u can snag one for under $400 brand new

Comment

GigadetH.,
                  you can really do a lot with a price range of 300-700. I'd suggest getting used USA Select, USA Fusion or Professional(early ones with ebony fret board). Prices of these three serials are pretty decent now. And they play like wonders!

Cham

[ December 26, 2002, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: Chameleonfong ]

Comment

Don't forget the Charvel Model 6, also a great value for the money. Got mine for $340 and it was mint.
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Well, if you're looking towards the DXMG then you are in luck ! www.americanmusicalsupply has them on a blowout sale. They have one for $399.99 ! It lists for $800.00 ! I just bought the closeout special on a DK2S . It was listed at $899.99 and I got it brand new, with warranty etc. for $399.99 ! Three payments of $133.33 . Cant beat that. Free shipping on it as well. Its awesome. I have hardly put it down since I reeived mine. Got it the day before Christmas. I go back to work Friday morning, and dont know what I am going to do without my axe with me.

Anyways, give them a call ...get the phone number from the web site. They have some nice closeout sales there. You just might get a 900 dollar guitar for more than half the price.

J.Hutto

Comment

DK2`s have a Poplar body and all Jacksons do not have Thin necks,USA Soloists have a very nice rounded medium neck, the best in the business in my opinion. Now my 1991 USA Fusion has a thin and flat neck, I can play both, but prefer the Soloist(have a Black SL2H on order [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] ) neck better. Jack.

Comment

Ya know, I sure wish they made a WRMGT like they do the DKMGT... I'd be ALL OVER that!

Comment

I was talking about current imports as far as the bodies being made of alder. From what I've read, all the imports have alder bodies. All the imports more or less share the same neck......thin. If I'm wrong.............flame me. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks guys for the help, and thank you, Sarj for the time spent on that post.

I guess I should get a DKMG guitar and later upgrade to Soloist (Better than DXMG, right?) if I have the money and play well too.

I wanted a Jackson because I like Metal, and my favorite artists use them too. Randy Rhoads, Dave Mustaine, etc. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X