Esp LTD explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Esp LTD explorer

I just wanted to say I picked one of these up off of someone on this board. Its a black old style and looks pretty good. I nabbed it for $300. It sounds really muddy right now but it could use some new strings and EMGs. I want to try and get it to play as best as it can. Ive always wanted an old explorer. Just thought Id share.

Re: Esp LTD explorer

thats awsome. I use to have a old fashion esp ( not ltd) explorer and it was the best explorer shape guitar i have ever played. I like the ltd's but some of there lower lower ltd's are kinda not my cup of tea ,the one you have is cool though i have played it and it sounded really good for its price. The only ltd's i have is a m-1000 and a ec-1000 and a mh-301 and i am planning on getting the new sunburst ec-1000 .

Comment

I'm still kicking myself for not buying an actual ESP Explorer. I was in San Diego about 8 years ago and I took a couple grand with me for spending money. This guitar shop accross the street from GC had a wall of ESP's. They had a black ESP explorer on clearence for like $899. I was shocked. The guy said somebody custom ordered it and it came with the wrong pickups or something. I don't think they made LTD's at the time. It had to be the real deal. I had just got into town so I didn't want to blow that much cash that fast. Before I left somebody bought it. It had a Kahler flat mount trem too.

About 4 years ago now Musicians Friend had the LTD Explorers at a discount price in white and black. They were like $399 or less. I was tempted to buy one. Hell, if I had bought one I probably would have sold it by now anyway and would be whinning about not having it anymore. Oh well.

Comment

Some cool stories. I had a vintage white LTD and it just didnt play right and I wanted a black one so much more. So I sold it then like a year later found this one. It doesnt play near as good as my rhoads though and my rhoads was $500 used. Im trying to get it to sound close and play close to it but itll take some work.

Comment

I'd start with strings first, Mike. It may have been awhile since I last changed them. With the Duncan I installed it should be anything but muddy -- I would expect maybe too much highs, but muddy is a surprise!! You'll probably get more comfy with it when I get you that EMG . Other than that how do you like it ??

[ January 27, 2003, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: kremit ]

Comment

I dont know most likely its the old strings cuz that usually muddys up the sound. Its pretty dang cool. It just looks cool too. But like you said its just not a comparison to a good jackson. Im going to try and make it play and sound as good as
            my early 90s rhoads pro. Maybe Im just used to EMGs and their super high end crunch. It takes some getting used to a fixed bridge since my last 2 guitars have had floyds. I polished it up so it looks better. Im going to work on fixing up the case a bit. Ill keep for a while and fix it up and if it plays a lot better and I really dig it then Ill keep it if not Ill sell it and try for another USA Jackson. maybe a soloist.

Comment

Im just going to add a little more to what I had to say. Im not saying its horrible but Ive been plying that rhoads for a while and Im so used to the sounds and playability of a great Jackson. I shouldnt compare the two cuz they are two totally different guitars. I still really dig the explorer and totally thank ya bro (kremit) for hooking me up and hope to keep in touch. strap locks would be nice and maybe a set of locking sperzels and that 81 and maybe another 81 and she should be ready to kick a**.

Comment

If you put in the strap locks, have the top peg moved to the inside (the Epi Explorer I just bought is like this) - it makes a world of difference in the balance. Make sure to get the flush mount, though, cause you don't want those poking into your gut more than necessary. And you're right about the sound....I guess that may have been the biggest stumbling block for me with that axe, it's just not my USA Jacksons ! --plus it's kinda hard to get good tone from plywood or whatever the f*ck they used in building it ! Damn, I'm starting to miss having that guitar up on my wall ! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

I dont know whats up with how it plays but its just sooo much different than the rhoads. But a little work ought to make it better. Right now I dont need strap locks. EMGs should make a big difference along with new strings. Im still waiting on my Jackson Y2KV. Im on 7 months and 14 days.

Comment

Working...
                  X