Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am thinking about selling my Gibson Explorer 90

Any Dutchies here interested? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I payed 800 Euros for it in November and I am selling it for the same amount (no less, because even though some americans here may think it's worth 5 bucks, for european standards it's worth way more than 5 bucks [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] . And I don't want to lose money on something I didnt abuse but rather improved).

serial: 80959730
    colour: black as black can be
    single coil (neck) + humbucker (bridge)
    stringthru, neckthru construction.
    24 frets, ebony fingerboard
    guitar is in near mint condition and comes with original case (palebrown exterior, pink :x interior, but it's very soft so), which has 1 broken lock.
    I fitted it with 0.010 D'addario XL strings last week.

I am selling it because I favour my Jackson Rhoads Pro (which I bought in November as well) much more (even though that one has a LFR, I am not that fond of FR, I rather have just stringthru).
    Looking behind I shouldn't have bought the guitar in the first place, because I already planned on buying the Jackson and I hardly even had the money for that one, but when I saw it and played it and heard it I liked it so I bought it. I got my Jackson a week later and well the rest you know [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Re: I am thinking about selling my Gibson Explorer 90

how much is 800 euros in US$

also email a pic
    [email protected]

BTW i have a friend visiting ireland for the next 3 months so maybe i could have it shipped to him

Comment

well 800 euros is slightly more than 800 dollars these days.

But arent guitars generally cheaper over there in the States?

I'll mail you the pics I have (they are not very clear though)

Comment

With that serial number, it holds more value than those with the ending numbers 3xx. Your's was made in Nashville as compared to Montana. I have a Les Paul Custom that was built in Montana and the quality doesn't quite compare to my Nashville made Standard. I'm not sure if where it was made holds a bearing on teh value as it does with the Les Paul line, but it may be something to think about.

Mike

Comment

I've never seen a neck thru Gibson. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

well this one is, and I bet there are more models which are neck-thru, but I havent seen that many Gibsons up close in my life, so I wouldn't know.

[ January 23, 2003, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Shamgar ]

Comment

Got a pic? Are you sure it's not a set neck?
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Word:
                I've never seen a neck thru Gibson. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Correct me if I am wrong, but Firebirds typically come neckthrough. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] TYPICALLY.

Comment

Explorers were NEVER neck-through.

I've got a Nashville made 85 Explorer, set neck, like all the ones before, and all the ones after.

Comment

I only have garbled pictures.

I found one picture of the same type guitar elsewhere on the internet:

looks like neck-thru to me.

(only mine has different pickups)

Comment

Sham - that's a set-neck.

Set-necks are glued-in to the body, like an acoustic. That's why there is no neck-plate. Les Pauls, SGs, and Explorers are ALL set-neck construction - unless it came from the Custom Shop and cost you around 5k...

Firebirds were/are Gibsons neck-thru axes.
                      750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                      Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

BTW - those are 25 1/2 scale! Not 24 1/2 like yer average everyday 'plorer.

Very cool.... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
                        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Comment

hm. now some sources say this model is worth way more than € 800,- and say I am nuts for wanting to sell it at all (specially for that price).

but those same sources tell me that my Charvel 475 DLX (#331693) might also be more than the price I was aiming at when selling (€ 250-350). specially in Europe it could be considered as a collector's item, since (according to them) it was built with the same specs as the San Dimas charvels etc.

setnecks eh (guess I learned another thing)? hm.... how do you see that?
                          and set-necks are those better than bolt-ons and just as good as neck-thru or not?

Comment

You can't 'see' through a solid finish. Explorers have always (some weird exceptions, tho) been constructed in that manner.

There really isn't a 'best' method, IMO. I have set, thru, and bolt guitars - and love them all.

THRU
                            Jackson Death Angel

SET
                            Charvel 750XL
                            Schecter C-7+

BOLT
                            Jackson Roswell
                            Jackson '88LE
                            ----------

To me, the biggest diff seems to be the shape of the 'heel'.

Let your hands, ears, and mind be the judge of what's 'best'....

[ January 24, 2003, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: nor ]

Comment

Man, those Explorers with the Ebony board and Diamond inlays are awsome!! You would get $800 US here for that. That Gibson there is a Custom Shop, Ebony,Diamonds, and string-thru is all special order as is the Single pickup in the neck. I wish you lived in the States, I would be talking to you more seriously about it [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X