Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender American Deluxe Fat Strat or American Special w/ Floyd Rose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender American Deluxe Fat Strat or American Special w/ Floyd Rose?

Does anyone know the difference between these two. Is it just the deluxe locking trem on the Amer D Fat and the Floyd rose on the Amer Special? Anyone have any pro's and cons 'of each. Would it be better to get the deluxe locking trem or the Floyd rose? I'm assuming both of these are USA made so they should be exact if not real close on the body and necks.
    thanks

Re: Fender American Deluxe Fat Strat or American Special w/ Floyd Rose?

The USA model has 22 frets and the Deluxe has 21.

The USA model has the small headstock and the Deluxe has the big 70's headstock.

The USA model has an alder body and the Deluxe has a poplar body.

The USA neck shape is kinda like a C shape but a little wider. The Deluxe model has a C shape like a 60's Strat.

The pickups on both models sound close, but the deluxe model's pickups are noisy.

You already know the cost difference.

I've played both. I prefer the USA model. I played the HH model with a rosewood board and brown sunburst. It kicked the crap out of the imported Deluxe model. I own a Mexican made Strat and love it for what it is so I'm not against the Deluxe model at all. If I'm going to have a Floyd on my axe it needs to have at least 22 frets. Thats my hang up yours may be different. Both would serve you well. The USA and the Deluxe have one thing in common, vintage tuners. Don't knock em, I love em. They stay in tune very well and even if they didn't, the locking nut would fix it. My Strat has the vintage tuners so I have some experience. I have recently played both side by side. They are well built and deliver the goods. I would change the pickups in both if I had either one. I'm a Seymour Duncan convert so I have to have Duncans. I would suggest a Distortion or JB in the bridge and a 59 or Jazz in the neck. If you can, check em both out and weigh that against your needs. You may be able to live with a 21 fretter and poplar body. If I could mix the models, I would have the C profile from the Deluxe and the black pickguard on the USA model. I'd buy it in white and I'd have one killer axe. Poplar doesn't sound bad at all, it's just very heavy to me. It has good sustain too, I just prefer alder. Let us know what you do. Good luck.

Comment

CRAP [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] I obviously didn't read the "AMERICAN" before the deluxe. I thought you were talking about the Deluxe Fat Strat w/Floyd Rose made in Mexico. Disregard. The Floyd model is great as I described above. The other, beats me. I guess it would be like the Floyd Strat without the tuning hassle of the Floyd. See what beer does to you.

Comment

I have a '92 USA floyd rose Fender strat in the classfieds... more than likely built better than a new one - original floyd rose trem, dimarzio pickups, etc... email me at [email protected] if interested.

pete

Comment

Working...
        X