My 80s Fender 'Shredocaster'.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 80s Fender 'Shredocaster'.....

Im going to shift one of my guitars, i need the cash for some important stuff.

I was after some advice on how much i could ask for my guitar. Heres what it is:

--85 (i think) Japanese fender strat in black with white pick guard
    --Non locking fender tremolo (locking nut taken off, can mount a new one or a string dampener)
    --2 Steves Special DiMarzio humbuckers
    --Neck scallopped from the 9th fret down (factory done)
    --5th position on selector kills signal
    --Only volume control wired up

Very good condition, i have pics just no where to upload at the moment.

All of this was done previous to me having it, i got it in a trade for a battered LP Studio.

Best bargain ive ever had!

Any advice on what its worth is welcome [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: My 80s Fender \'Shredocaster\'.....

I have alot of experience with 80's Fender Japan products, and I don't recall and can't find any guitar made at that time with a partially scalloped neck. The first factory Fender made with a scalloped fretboard was the Yngwie USA signature Strat introduced in '87. That eventually became an import model by the early 90's.

The thing is that the factory that makes the Fender guitars in Japan (they also make the Japan Ibanez guitars) takes alot of liberty with the Fender name. They have and do make many models just for the Asian market. Perhaps your guitar is one of these models.

Comment

yeah.. i assumed it was done after sale by a previous owner.... it ended up in the shop i got it from after the guy traded it for some Ibanez.

Its a bit of a tricky guitar to price, a non shredder wouldnt be interested really.... thats why i posted on here, since my local shop guy said:

'people like a strat to be a strat with 3 single coils' etc

Has he never seen a fat strat? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine:
        I have alot of experience with 80's Fender Japan products, and I don't recall and can't find any guitar made at that time with a partially scalloped neck. The first factory Fender made with a scalloped fretboard was the Yngwie USA signature Strat introduced in '87. That eventually became an import model by the early 90's.

The thing is that the factory that makes the Fender guitars in Japan (they also make the Japan Ibanez guitars) takes alot of liberty with the Fender name. They have and do make many models just for the Asian market. Perhaps your guitar is one of these models.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think what he meant was that the scallops were done by a pro, not necessarily that it came that way from the factory.

InFlamed: you say that the locking nut was removed? and that it has a non-locking trem? from this information I draw the conclusion that this is a contemporary series strat, probably equipped with the system II tremolo (this is the only non-locking trem using a locking nut that I can think of, not counting the single-locking FR copies I've seen).

some questions:

1. what is the output jack like? is it the normal strat output jack or is it mounted on the edge of the body?

2. does it have a cover for the springs or is the body routed so that it looks totally solid from the rear?
        I guitar, therefore, I am a Guitarer

http://iguitarer.blogspot.com

Comment

1) The jack is normal strat location
          2) Yeah it has a white guard over the springs

I think its a standard contemporay series strat thats been modded up by a guy into his shred music, then passed on for a 'proper' Ibanez.

Im gonna get some photos up asap.

Looking to sell it, not sure how much for (i neeed money!) I'll miss it, been one hell of a guitar!

Comment

Fender made a Richie Blackmoore Signature Strat that was Japanese made and it was around that time frame. It has a graduating scalloped finger board. As it goes higher up the neck the board is more scalloped. Had stock Duncan 1/4 pounders in bridge and neck with a dummy in the middle and a three way switch. Nice neck too. Dont remember if the body was a unirout for the pickups or not but it could've been.
            Gil

Comment

You're about a decade off on the Blackmore Strat. That was mid '90s, not '80s. Around the time of the last Rainbow album, before he started up w/ Blackmore's Night.

Zero

Comment

Working...
              X