BC Rich Platinum Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC Rich Platinum Series

What do you think about these guitars?Are they from China or Korea?
    What about quality?Which differences with the NJ series?

[ January 18, 2003, 05:00 AM: Message edited by: Mordor ]

Re: BC Rich Platinum Series

What do you think about these guitars?Are they from China or Korea?
    What about quality?Which differences with the NJ series?

The platinum are japanese. the basic difference from the nj series is the bridge. while all the njs have floyds, up until last year all platinums had a tunomatic style bridge, now some platinum warlocks have a vintage style trem. they still use the same pickups, and as far as i can tell the same tuners, so i guess the only problem you would come across would be knocking it out of tune if you're not careful.

LC

Comment

They're from Korea.

BC Rich has NO import guitars made in Japan. Up untill last year at least, even the "NJ" has a big fat "Made in Korea" stamp on em.

And stay away from "Bronze" They are a laminate IE: high tech plywood.

(So far the only Korean guitars I've ever really liked are my Washburn Culprit and my Dean '79 Z)

They don't have the nice "fastback heel" like the NJ's do

They don't use locking trems. ( Which is a good thing 'cause the BC rich trem is really, really, REALLY cheapass.

No cool diamond inlays, same woods used (Chesswood)

I think the pickups are lower end, although it doens't really matter as the NJ pups suck too.

They're "okay" guitars, thing is, you can find a Jackson DK-2 online for less than a Platinum BC Rich, and the Jackson is much better

It's not that BC Rich is bad, as guitars they are decent, but they are way too much money for what you get, Jackson offers far better perfomance.

(BTW, I owned a BC Rich NJ Beast, way over-priced axe in my book, sold it real quick)

[ January 18, 2003, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Comment

2Loud beat me to the punch here. I was going to say the same thing. Stay away from the Bronze Series...they are plywood. And yeah, they are made in Korea.

I do have a BC Rich Bich NJ that was made in 1984...the first year of the japanese series, and man that guitar is NICE! (The original NJ Series was made in Japan. In fact, NJ stands for Nagoya, Japan) All mahogany, including the neck, Kahler trem, and I think it was like $450 when I bought it new. Still have that one, too. It's VioletBurst.

Hey 2Loud...I thought that your new Kramer was Korean made too? Am I mistaken about that? I thought you had said you really liked it too. Let me know if you have changed your mind, because I was thinking about getting one of those too after reading good reviews about them.
        Dana <~~~

[ January 18, 2003, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: guitarforceone ]
        '85 Rhoads Custom
        '86 SD Str*t
        '86 Model 4 (5)
        '87 Model 1
        '87 Model 6
        '88 Model 3DR
        '90 650 XL
        '94 KE-3
        '97 DR Amberburst
        '97 Dinky BOFlames
        '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Older Platnum Series guitars were plywood with real cheap tremolo units. For a long time they were as cheap a BC Rich as you could get.

Comment

i have to disagree, the current bc rich floyd copy is damn good, as are the pickups.

Comment

well i just got a nj series neck thru assassin and i think its a lovely guitar

its a hard maple nech thru with milky pine wings, diamonf inlays and its a 99 model i think

David

Comment

Originally posted by guitarforceone:
                Hey 2Loud...I thought that your new Kramer was Korean made too? Am I mistaken about that? I thought you had said you really liked it too. Let me know if you have changed your mind, because I was thinking about getting one of those too after reading good reviews about them.
                Dana <~~~
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey, how are ya?!?

I actually "forgot" about the Kramer. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

At the price they go for, it's an amazing bang-around guitar. Not up there in terms of quality, and QC control as the Jacksons or Deans.. The fit and finish is a bit lacking, and you will have to spend an hour or so getting it setup. and the pickups stink.

I do have one bone to pick, a tuner seized up on me, they are sending me a replacement., and the 22 fret needs to be re-crowned, it sounds the same note as the 23 on the high E

BUT, after my tech went through it, it plays really nice, faster than my DK-2.

Bottom line, It's an good guitar that can be an a great one with some tweaking.

Jackson Soloist / Model 6 / Charvel 650 / Barreta 404S/D is how I place it in a lineup (after a proper setup and pup change)

Comment

Originally posted by guitarforceone:

I do have a BC Rich Bich NJ that was made in 1984...the first year of the japanese series, and man that guitar is NICE! (The original NJ Series was made in Japan. In fact, NJ stands for Nagoya, Japan) All mahogany, including the neck, Kahler trem, and I think it was like $450 when I bought it new. Still have that one, too. It's VioletBurst.

Dana <~~~
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My first "professional" guitar was an 84 NJ Mockingbird. I traded it to my friend for an Ibanez Iceman... I was such a dumbass. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

2Loud...I wish I had a dollar for every killer piece of equipment that I sold back in the day and wish I still had now. Here's one of my stupidest sales ever: I had a blackface Fender Super Reverb back in the early 80's. I didn't know of course that they would be collectible, and I traded it EVEN at a guitar shop for one of those little Spectra practice amps that went for $125.

I also had another blackface Super that I sold for $50!! Can you believe that crap?

I can definitely relate to the "dumbass" comment. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
                    Dana <~~~
                    '85 Rhoads Custom
                    '86 SD Str*t
                    '86 Model 4 (5)
                    '87 Model 1
                    '87 Model 6
                    '88 Model 3DR
                    '90 650 XL
                    '94 KE-3
                    '97 DR Amberburst
                    '97 Dinky BOFlames
                    '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Note how I said "Older Platnum Series guitars were plywood with real cheap tremolo units. For a long time they were as cheap a BC Rich as you could get."

How were you disagreeing with me?

Comment

Originally posted by blackmetalmilitia:
                        i have to disagree, the current bc rich floyd copy is damn good, as are the pickups.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">BC Rich pickups good?!? BC Rich Floyd good?!?!?

You are talking about the cosmo black one, right?

We must have really different ideas about what is good, cause I was so happy when I unloaded my 2001 Beast.

I was taken in by it's cool shape, Paid my $600.00 and walked out the door, thinking that all it needed was a good amp and setup.

Hands down the worst guitar I've owned in the last 3 years. I could find nothing about the guitar appealing after a few months.

The floyd had awfull fine tuners.. the threads were poorly cut, they did not turn smoothly, even after some light oil., the metal on that sucker is at ther bottom of the scale, in terms of quality.

The pickups were...well..mud...NU-metal toneless.

One big fookin piece of wall art, thank god for EBAY.

Comment

IMHO........I think BC Rich NJ Series guitars took a nose dive when they started putting a Widow headstock on everything and using chesswood. In order to get a killer BC Rich, go USA or forget it. BC Rich should re-do their import line to compete with others as far as quality. Jackson, Washburn, Dean, Fender, Fernandez and many others have them beat as far as I'm concerned. I have played several newer NJ Series guitars and think they all suck.

Comment

Yeah,it's kind of a shame,BC Rich used to be something real special,up there with Charvel/Jackson.(Maybe the US ones still are?)but a lot of the stuff they're churning out now is pretty lame - cheap ugly guitars for Slipknot fans!

(Assumes crash position in anticipation...)

Comment

even though i would like to back up bc rich facts are facts

the pickups in the rich's just plain suck

bronze are laughable. it has one of the worst bridges ive ever seen plus i would like to note that plywood is alot better than the crap they use in the bronze .My friend had one and the strap button came straight out with the wood

my friend who has lately gotten on my nerves got a bronze mockingbird
                              cant wait to see him complaining about chips and bridge problems

Comment

Working...
                              X