Les Paul ???????s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Paul ???????s

Looking to pick one up and I'm not too informed on all the various kinds - custom, studio, special, etc. Of course, the custom is top of the line. The studio is good ( right ?) and the special is kinda crappy - someone here said not to waste your $ on a special. Any help ?

Re: Les Paul ???????s

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=33040
    I like this one but it was endded by BIN.

If you have a chance to go to store,check all the models.
    Gibson is hard to choose just by looking.
    [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Steve, spend some time cruising around the LP Forum ( http://www.lespaulforum.com/base.html ) reading old threads and asking questions. Most of your questions have been covered over there, and they are a very helpful, great group of people who are eager to help.

On the other hand, can I interest you in GMP guitars?? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

The Studio is excellent value, and they can be had rather cheaply. In addition there are plenty to be had, so there is ample supply at any time on Ebay. But because of this pick out the one for you, dont just grab the first one you see. They came in alot of different finishes, and some are quite awesome looking. I'd stay away from the ones made from 1976 - 1980. There were good ones made during those years, but there were also alot of crappy ones as well. Buying on Ebay for these guitars can be hazardous to your health. Anything made during other years should be fine. As well, stay away from any labelled "The Paul."

Comment

I have a special with humbuckers. It's a set neck with rose wood board and small trap inlays plays and sounds great,I got it on a blowout sale for 499.99 with bag and strap. Most of the time they are about 650-750 range.I love mine,can't knock it out of tune.
          www.kiddhavok.com
          www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Not to knock Gibson but the finest Les Paul I ever played was a Heritage, NOT GIBSON! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] That thing was so awesome I mean it was like straping on lightning. Might want to check them out.

Comment

they are all basically the same mahogany body w/ maple tops & maple or mahogany necks.
              CUSTOM: multi layered binding, block inlays, ebony board
              STANDARD: single layer binding trap inlays rosewood board
              DELUXE: single layer binding trap inlays usually P-90s or soapbox p'up, rosewood board
              STUDIO: no binding & i think dot inlay or trap(not sure) some studios had black hardware
              im NOT sure which had maple & which had Mahogany necks & it may also vary by year not model. i think they were all available w/ rosewood or ebony boards & the VERY RARE MAPLE board. what i wrote above is the most common configs.
              U can find modded ones kinda cheap which is good because Kluson (vintage type)tuners SUCK & gibson pickups are OK.

Comment

studio's have trap inlays, but they are perloid instead of MOP like on the standard and custom. Great value when you look at what you get for the price difference compared with the more expensive models.

Gareth [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

I would recommend a Yamaha Weddington instead if you can find one. Faster neck, better pickups, same sweet tone, better neck joint, better quality control. They go for around $400-500 on e-bay.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Thanks for the help, guys. Thanks for the forum, Chuck, I shoulda known you'd be up on it ! Hey, why don't you slide me that white Pawnshop ? That way I won't need to look for an LP !!!

Comment

From what I under stand Heritage guitars are made in the same Kalamazoo factory that produced the original Les Pauls. I believe when Gibson left some employees purchased the factory and equipment and started their own company. Not totally positive though.

I did play a middle 70s Les Paul Custom, and let me tell you it sounded awsome. It sustained like no guitar I have ever played.

[ January 14, 2003, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Keith Gutierrez ]
                      Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Buy a USA Hamer and forget the LP. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ibanez Pre-Lawsuit Gibson copies.. I hear they are basically the same as Gibsons and CHEAP too.

Comment

Sorry Steve, no GMPs make it out of here alive!

Jonsgon has a SWEET dark sunburst Classic with EMGs he is selling, though.

Comment

Chuck - you are such a ho... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                              Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Working...
                              X