Alex Skolnick`s Ibanez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex Skolnick`s Ibanez

Can someone tell me the name of the top of the line Skolnick`s Ibanez? Would buy one. For sentimental reasons........

Re: Alex Skolnick`s Ibanez

I believe he used a Sabre
    Hail yesterday

Comment

He also used a reverse body like a Jackson Demon that was called a 540P. Did it look like this?
      http://www.jcguitars.com/ibzalex1.JPG

M

Comment

I think it had the "Souls of Black" cover on it. I do remember that most his guitars had necks with sharktooth inlays, but ALOT of them were "S" body guitars.

Comment

"The Balad" would have been during the "Practice What You Preach" album days--it was on that album. The title song and "The Balad" were the 2 videos I remember from that album...cool songs. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The graphis is from "Practice what you preach".
            I have a VHS tape I recorded when Chuck and Alex were on MTV Headbanger's ball program.He was holding a Yellow 540P(SH configuration) and without an amp but Alex kept playing and shreds like hell while talking! A lot of fast licks and sweep pickings and tapping.
            That was from 88 I believe and from "The New Order" era.
            I saw them in concert for that tour at Country club in Reseda,CA.
            MAN,Great band!
            I also have seen them 2times in during "Practice what you preach tour" and 3times with "Souls of Black"
            TESTAMENT was one of my favorites when Thrash metal was hot.

[ January 09, 2003, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: dinkyjacksonman ]

Comment

Thanx for help guys!! I also think he used Sabre. But I also remember seeing in some old Ibanez catalog that he HAD a signature model. Maybe my memory is fading, but I`m 99% sure. Also, just got out my Souls Of Black CD, and there`s his picture with H/H pick up configuration, no inlay guitar.

Comment

He had a Red Sabre with 2 hums,540P with Yellow and SH pickups which was a giveaway in Metal Edge mag,White 540PH 2hum seen in Video,Also V shape with Red thunder striking graphic that had Ibanez 22frets Maple I saw later was for sell for around $500.
                540P(SH confguration) with practice what you preach graphic,RG570 Black body with Red pickups,and what else?
                Also Maxxis( sorry if I spell it wrong) semi hollow Sabre look like Ibanez guitar that he used in the video of Practice what you preach.

That is all I can remember.540P series is believed to be his signature model or at least he helped Ibanez to design it.

[ January 09, 2003, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: dinkyjacksonman ]

Comment

Alex used Sabres, and was pictured in some late '80s Ibanez ads with them... The model he was pictured with in the '90 & '91 Ibanez catalogs is the 540PII - the two is very important; the 540P and 540PII are radically different guitars. A 540 P is the guitar that Joe Satriani is pictured with on the cover of Not Of This Earth. It is not a reversed body and the body doesn't even resemble the 540PII. I owned a 540P and it was nice enough, but I'd love to get my hands on a 540PII.

Comment

Man, I've never seen an Ibanez with the Demon looking body. That is sweet! James Murphy also played the Sabres at one time!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ January 09, 2003, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Good call, Matt - that's the guitar I would consider the Skolnick model. I don't think he ever had a signature model, but he probably should have. Another good guitar with that vibe is the RG565 - I had a couple and they were NICE!

Comment

That's one of em Matt. He was given a 540P with one of their album covers painted on it. I forgot the album, but it came out in 1989 and they had a couple of videos. He used it in the video for "The Balad". He also used an RG570 and an RG550 as well as the Sabre models that are now the S model or something. Those were good days. If I were you I'd go with any of the upper end S series or the RG570 or go to JC Guitars and buy the 540P.

Comment

he used the maxxas almost exclusively while recording...he's one of the reasons i got one...

...d.m.
                          p.s. good luck finding one...took me a couple of years and the last one to go on the bay was 1100.00...
                          http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

you guys are some what close....................

I was one of Alex's students back in the early 90's

the reverse ibanez is a 540P the other one Joe used is a RG540P (power) the one with the two hums is a 540PII

the V was You guys will never guess a Charvel

it had a Ponity Charvel headstock that got broke and his rodie put a Ibanez neck on it

if you want more info feel free to email me

Comment

he played a black and white charvel star on the legacy tour as well...i remember talking to him when he was in town playing with savatage and asked him about his maxxas...he said he basically recorded all of practice with it except for the parts that had a lot of vicious whammy work...his had a stock trem and not an edge like mine...d.m.
                              http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Working...
                              X