New guitar idea - I gotta be crazy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guitar idea - I gotta be crazy!

I just talked to a guy at Warmoth about a guitar I wanna build- Let me know what you think and any suggestions- I wanna build a solid boby Gibson ES 175 style guitar with a floyd- The thickness will be the same as a les paul but the body will be a full size ES 175- 2 hums, 1 vol., and a 3 way- Gibson style headstock but with a 25 1/2" scale neck with a 1 3/4" nut width- An I crazy? I know it'll be heavy as hell but I'm a big guy and I think it would look cool as on me- What would be a good wood? Something light and won't sound muddy- Anyone?
    www.facebook.com/neddistanz

Re: New guitar idea - I gotta be crazy!

I dunno Neddi, how about a Star body, strat headstock, no inlays, one hum, and floyd? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

that big body, you would need a lighter weight wood like swamp ash but to add some treble, maybe a very thin maple on top.

Comment

Warmoth does groove chambering on their LP style bodies. Maybe they could adapt that to your project to lighten the weight by a pound or two.

Then for weigh evalutaion, you might also check out a B.B. King Lucille guitar. That's a solid-bodied ES-335.
        please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

The whole idea is that I want an ES 175 style guitar, nothing else- How does swamp ash sound?

The weight thing's not an issue for me- Trust me, I'll be able to handle it-

[ January 08, 2003, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Foolius Maximus ]

Comment

Swamp ash is bright sound but it is still very warm.
            A lot of Fender Strat are made of Swamp Ash.
            If Weight is not an issue, I would go with solid White Ash(not Swamp Ash) which is heavy(or heavier) as Maple and sounds great.
            I had a Strat made out of White Ash sounded real good.Very fast respond and big sound.

Comment

Just 2 weeks ago on ebay a guy had an ES 125 (same shape as 175 but thinner) with a fender neck attached, never reached reserve. Don't know how you intend of attaching the Floyd. Probably be easier on a 135 becuse it has the centerblock and you could simply screw in two old school Floyd Posts. Personally I feel that the serious metalist with a jazz guitar vibe is an idea whose time has come. I toured around a lot in the 80's with one of the new Gibson Country Gentlemen and that through a 100 watt Marshal was a very cool sound indeed.

Comment

O.K., here's what I'm talking about- It's gonna be a solid body shaped like an ES 175 or 135- The thickness will be the same as a les paul, not an ES model- Here's a pic of something I came up with- It's gonna have black binding on the cream half and cream binding on the black half- 1 vol. knob that I haven't figured out where to place- 1 three way gibson switch- A non recessed OFR in black- The F holes are gonna be painted on- The cool thing about it being a bolt-on is the neck is gonna be the way I want and not like a Gibson- Fast action with a Charvel feel- Let me know what you think-

Comment

That would look good being played by this guy:

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Just for the record, the BB King Lucille is not solid, it just doesn't have f-holes.

Comment

Just for the record, the BB King Lucille is not solid, it just doesn't have f-holes.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You are correct Banjowarrior [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                      Scott
                      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Dude!! that would be like CRAZY GO MAD!!

Comment

no offense neddi, but after seeing that, I want to gouge out my eyes [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Other than that, kinda cool!

Pete

Comment

I think if that is what you want....go for it. Would look better with split block inlays tho. If Terrible Ted could play those shaped guitars in the day...Big Neddi can [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

I plan on getting block inlays it's just that the pic I used didn't have them-

Comment

Working...
                              X