Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MusicYo Kramer - mini review

Kramer Baretta 404S/D
    I got this puppy a few days ago, here's some thoughts.

Okay, lets start with what it isn't.... A Kramer.
    Thats right, it may say Kramer, but if you remember anything about the Kramers of yore.. it's nothing like them, doesn't even look like em!

Thats not a bad thing, cause in my mind.. it's better. Yup you heard me, better.

Let me tell you what I think it is... a very good Soloist copy. Except for the headstock and lack of sharkfins.. it's alot like an SL3, to my eye's the body's almost the same.

Now, I said I thought it was better than the old Kramers.. here's where it gets subjective, just hear me out.

I've owned a baretta, I currently own a Pacer so I'm using these as a comparison.

This new Kramer has an amazing neck, slightly thicker than a Jackson and not as flat.. feels really good. I have to say that the fret work is superior to my DK-2, I hate to say it, but it is.. the frets, although not as wide.. are wonderfully done, I've got the action down alot lower than I can with my bolt on Jacksons.

The finish is good, a nice metalic red, mine has a small run on the back. Not as nice as Jackson's tho..

The guitar, being a neck-through.. can really sing, once you get past the awfull "Quad-rail" pups.. mud..mud..and more mud..

The trem is "okay" as far as trems go.. similar to the JT500, seems to work though..

The Tuners are Gotoh, and they work, very well.. stable.

Overall, this axe is a winner,

If you like Kramers, don't buyit though.. it's NOT a true Baretta, It's a "Soloist" Copy..

$279.00 for a neck-through, Alder Body wings, 24 fret axe.. how can you possibly go wrong.

Re: MusicYo Kramer - mini review

Um, the website says $329

[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I've got one [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I like it. I admit to having one or two problems with it, had to replace the bridge and it didn't like being tuned to B with 13s on it, but I started to be more reasonable with it, put 10s on it and got it setup properly and now I'm very happy with it.

Didn't Greg Crowe say when they first came out that they looked and played more like a Soloist than any Kramer he had ever had?

Comment

I have one of the Yo-Kramer doublenecks, and even though it's no cream-of-the-crop guitar...it's very well built, really good price, and it's a great utility guitar! (double 6 necks...acoustic on top, and solidbody on bottom)

These new "Kramers" are a really good deal, even though they aren't really the Kramers we all know.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:

Um, the website says $329

[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My Bad, I forgot to mention I got mine as a "Blemish" for $279.00, plus free shipping.

[ January 08, 2003, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Comment

Originally posted by elrrek:
            I've got one [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I like it. I admit to having one or two problems with it, had to replace the bridge and it didn't like being tuned to B with 13s on it, but I started to be more reasonable with it, put 10s on it and got it setup properly and now I'm very happy with it.

Didn't Greg Crowe say when they first came out that they looked and played more like a Soloist than any Kramer he had ever had?
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">13s?!? Auuggghhh.. Step away from the floyd, step away from the Floyd!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Its definately more "J" like than "K"

Comment

Originally posted by 2Loud2Old:
              13s?!? Auuggghhh.. Step away from the floyd, step away from the Floyd!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Its definately more "J" like than "K"
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">lol - yeah, its was pretty bad, at least I learn my lesson. If your going to tune down and put crazy thick strings on your guitar make sure it's got a fixed bridge or was built for the job if it's got a Floyd.

13s with Quad rails made for a MONSTER of a sound though, very weighty indeed.

[ January 08, 2003, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: elrrek ]

Comment

yeah, they're pretty nice. I have the FR404S (the now discontinued 22-fret version with straight heastock). It plays nicely but the pickups aren't the best and I would like an OFR on it (they just feel more responsive).

there are only a few bad things about the one I got:

1. the routing for the pickups. the channel for the cables goes a little bit too far, making the front pickup cavity look unprofessional.

2. mine had a crack as a result of a bad glue joint between the body and the neck. discovered it too late and paid $40 for the repairs.
                I guitar, therefore, I am a Guitarer

http://iguitarer.blogspot.com

Comment

Is it OK to put 13's on a guitar with Floyd and tune it to B if you block the Floyd?

Anders
                  https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Is that a dTuna? I thought they don't work if the floyd is recessed?
                    www.kiddhavok.com
                    www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

the D-tuna will work with a recessed trem. but there is a catch:

for the d-tuna to work the way it was designed to do you need to block the trem to dive only. if you don't, the tuning will be lost when you use the d-tuna. but since all of the strings go out of tune you hardly notice it.

also, if the recess isn't designed to take the d-tuna you won't be able to pull up very far on the trem before the d-tuna hits the body.

Comment

Anders: Of course! I've got 2 guitars tuned to B right now with 12-52's. Both have floyds as well. 1 is blocked and the other is non-recessed but you can also do it with non-blocked floyds without a problem. Just requires some setup in all instances.

Comment

Troy: OK thanks! Then I'm gonna do that to the grindcore guitar I plan on buying! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anders
                          https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

about the neck profile on the kramer barettas... what company can provide me with a guitar using that profile? will I have to get a custom to get what I want (musicyo and kramer don't have the guitar I see in my head right now)?

Comment

Dude, my SL3 is strung with the bottom six from a seven string set (13-56) with a non-blocked Floyd. It's not a problem at all. Just set it up right and it will work with whatever gauges you toss at it. For extra sickness tune it up to standard with those 13's. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X