GMW Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMW Guitars

I am sure these questions have been asked before, but a search of the forum didn't turn up any positive results. Sorry if I am repeating an already discussed topic.

Has anyone here had a guitar built by GMW? What are your opinions of the work? Their website shows some pretty sweet stuff, and their testimonials seem favorable as well.

You see, I am not much of a guitar player, although I do play in a gigging 70's/80's/90's metal cover band...

I know what I would like in a guitar, but I am not too sure that I want to spend the money because of my amateurish playing abilities. I did some math and found that I could build a guitar from Warmoth (for example) parts and come in assembled under a grand. I've also seen several custom made guitars pop up on ebay with price tags under a grand - but do I want to wait for that ellusive "perfect" custom?

I've got the scratch, but am trying to go about this in the most economical way without compromising quality. I want it all, and I want it now. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Another issue is turn around time. Are they quick, or is it the normal 4 weeks to 6 months wait that so many custom shops have.

Thanks for reading this, and I look forward to hearing your opinions on this.

Re: GMW Guitars

I know a few that have had GMW customs and it took a few weeks , They are built very well and can cost anywhere from 700$ to around 1200$ to 1300$. If you want a fast custom with really high quality then i would go with a carvin . You get to customize most the options. And they can be well under a grand and are ALL neck thru not bolt unless you get the bolt on series.

Comment

Kirk,your name is familier from Jemsite and I (Toru)have done deals with you couple years ago on Ibanez.
      Welcome to the board.

In my opinion,GMW is the best.
      The guitar in the picture under my name is made by GMW.
      I have several other projects that Lee at GMW has been working on for several months so far.

Wait time depends on what you want for your guitar.
      Solid color body with normal neck, fastest of like 4weeks-6weeks.
      With graphics or custom jobs on neck(reverse headstock,special inlays),it would take 2-3months or longer.
      I know it is a busiest time for GMW now preparing for NAMM.

If you want a parts guitar, Warmoth can be good option if you know how to build with parts but with quality parts with quality build, GMW is the way to go and they are not expensive.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ January 06, 2003, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: dinkyjacksonman ]

Comment

hahaha Chuck, I was about to post those links too! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

You won't be sorry going with either GMW or Carvin... I have Custom Shops from both companies and love them equally.

Comment

I just received my GMW Custom guitar during Chirstmas and is one of the best guitars I've ever played. I had to wait 1 year to get my guitar because Lee told me that what I wanted was really custom and he has been extremely busy doping work for Jackson and Schecter, among other guitar companies. If what you want is a basic bolt-on solid color guitar you will wait 6-8 weeks. If the guitar has a lot of custom features (scale length, body or headstock shape, wiring, graphics, top, etc) then you can wait up to 12-15 months. Again, mine took a year. If you don't mind the wait I encourage you to go for it. If you want a pretty basic "custom" guitar then go for it. But, if you are very impatient and want something very custom, GMW might not be an option. I waited a year and it was a nerve wrecking experience. It was worth it at the end, but it was just a long 12 moths for getting the guitar. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Comment

If you're in a gigging band, you can't be all THAT bad a player, can ya? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

GMW guitars start at $950 for a rather simple bolt-on with one humbucker and standard paintjob. Tack onto that an upcharge if you want anything other than that...neck-through instead of bolt-on...graphic or special color...binding...special woods or top...special inlays...additional pickup etc etc. It's all listed on the GMW website under the "Order Custom Guitar" link. They have prices listed for most all the graphics shown on their site, and for most options as well.

Ordering a custom guitar can be one of the coolest experiences, but it can also get very expensive very fast if you want much of anything that's really "custom". It's also important that, if you're spending this much $$, you really understand and know just what you like in a guitar...what features, what woods, what kind of feel, neck shape etc etc. Definitely not something you want to do, then later think "gee I really wish I'd have got (whatever) on it". Although, then you'd probably start thinking "gee, guess I'll just have to order another one then!". BUT, be aware, when buying a custom guitar from someone like GMW, who, though they're busy as hell and do tons of orders every year, aren't really an extremely widely known name...the resale value on the guitars can be pretty low compared to if it had "Jackson" on the headstock. So, it's important to make sure you order a guitar you can make sure as much as possible that is everything you want in a guitar, and not something you'd ever want to sell, or expect to have a high resale value in the general market. But, having exorcised all of those issues, if you order a GMW guitar, you'll have a definitely top-notch quality guitar for generally much cheaper price than a "big name" guitar shop would charge, and hopefully a guitar you will want to keep for life.

On the other hand...if all of this kinda scares you a little... Carvin makes excellent guitars for very good prices...they just don't offer "true customization" like GMW--more like...Carvin really offers what I'd call "option-picking". Carvin's kinda like..."do you want pickles with that?".

Warmoth...if you are comfortable with and good at installing parts on, assembling, soldering electronics, and complete setup of a guitar, or you have someone you trust who can do all of that well for you, sure, you can put together a decent guitar. Compared to a Carvin, though, Warmoths are bolt-on...which may or may not make any difference to you...does to some, not to others. But for about the same amount of money--maybe even less, depening on what you want--the Carvin is neck-through, comes assembled (hehe) and set up usually very well. And Carvin also has a money-back guarantee.

Comment

Working...
            X