New guitar for SARJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guitar for SARJ

I went ahead and did it. I got the recent Musicians Friend catalog and it showed the Fender Tom Delong Strat with a " Price too low to advertise " banner next to it. I called and yes it was at $399 with a gig bag. I got one when they first came out year before last (2001) and it was like my main guitar. Now that I'm more into the drop D stuff, etc. I don't need 22 or 24 frets. I had to realy think hard about this. I was going to get a Schecter C-1 Stealth, but after playing a C-1 model I realy don't like the neck and now I know why me and Les Pauls don't get along.......Tuno O Matic style bridges. I like the flat mount style alot better. It's funny how something you once had is right on the money for what you need right now. It's good to be getting another one. These Delong guitars beg to be upgraded. They sound killer and the neck is a very comfortable C profile. The tuners, though vintage, stay in tune very well. I downtuned alot with my old one and it could hold it's own very well. I just wish it said CHARVEL on the headstock instead of, well, you know.

Re: New guitar for SARJ

ya know, as much flak as these guitars get, they're kinda up our alley: one hum hardtail strats....? i picked one up briefly a few weeks ago, and with some setup work (and my own personal modding) it seems like an okay guitar... hell, i wouldn't mind a few of these for parts.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yeah, I've been considering one of these for a while. Has anyone looked at the (gasp) Squire version? You could remove the logo from the headstock if appearances are important.

Comment

nah, but if anything, i'd swap the hardtail for a better one, and put a different pickup in there.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Jon, I called about that "To Low To List" price and they told me $529 [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] Are they that dumb there? If I can get one for $399 with Bag, I will get one!! I prefer it in Black and I played one thru a peavy XXL and it played and sounded killer!! What color did you get? If they are out of Black, I will try the Nuclear Yellow, read "Add Strypes" [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Sarj, I just checked the MF site, and they had 2 colors in Blems for $399, are you sure your not getting a 2nd for $399, you might want to call them [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] They had the 1st runs for $529. Jack.

Comment

I plan to swap pickups. I was thinking about trying a JB and then coil tapping it with a mini togle or get a push/pull volume pot. I've already got a black jack plate and volume knob. I am getting the pickup in black/white. I also found some locking vintage tuners. A buddy of mine has a camera and he's going to post the pics here for me when it's done.

Comment

As far as the Squire one.......think baseball bat shaped neck. Other than that, they play pretty nice. The pickup sucks. It has sealed tuners like the MIM Strats have. It has potential. The "alder" body is a little heavy. It probably has plys of poplar in it. For $179, the Squire is a good deal. I just like the overall feel and tone of the Fender version better.

Comment

They told me $529 first and then I said, "check again" and they asked me for source codes and catalog numbers. After all the info I gave them from my most current catalog the guy said there were no surf green ones, but there were black, nuclear yellow and daphne blue ones. I told him I wanted black and he said "yes, that ones in stock". I even got free shipping. He did not mention nor did I anything about blems. If I end up with a blem I will not only send it back, but I will definately let all my JCF brothers and sisters know right here. I got you all's back.

Comment

I just checked out the MF site and looked at both the new TD Strats and the blem models. The same colors are available in the new ones and the blems. You all think that maybe they are advertising low prices to sell blem models and making it sound like they are selling new ones? I have a feeling that they will be shipping me a return label and crediting my Visa. If it is a blem model that isn't all that bad I will probably keep it. In my experience with these TD guitars, they usualy have a chipped fret marker or most people think the finish is coming off when it is actualy rubbing compound or the occasional fingerprint in the color of the guitar which is left over rubbing compound and comes off easy. Now that I'm getting a little heated about it, I think I'll take advantage of their 24/7 ordering program and see what they got to say when I ask if they are sending me a blem or a new one. I'll be right back.

Comment

Ok, here's the deal. If you guys order, use this product number, 510636A. What seems to be going on is that they are liquidating and giving recipients of catalogs a sweet deal, but they are cleaning up on internet orders. The blem model number is as follows, 510636X. The X shows that it is a Blem. Get a catalog, the current one with the RED TAG SALE cover and give em your customer ID and Catalog Source Code. Basicaly, a guy gets on the website and says, " hey, I can save money if I buy a Blem TD Strat, I think I'll order it instead of paying $529 for a 1st run ". The guys that get the catalogs and call on this price get the, " yes we have that in stock at $529 " and then you say, " well, thre's this little thing that says PRICE TO LOW TO ADVERTISE, whats up with that ". Then the MF guy says, " let me get your source code and customer ID off of the back of the catalog ". I give it to him and he says, " yes, we have those at $399, but there are no surf green models left ". I say give me a black one and he says ok. Done deal. Good luck.

Comment

Dude,I just looked at the musicians friend that I have and they have the guitar advertised for $179.Look into that.

Comment

$179 is for the cheaper Squire model. Before people think it is just a label on a the headstock, I played both models and the Squire is definately cheaper, but worth $179, I just like the better one and for $399 with bag, I am calling [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

I ordered 1 in Black, $399 Shipped with Gigbag [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] You have to have the little flyer they sent out, and that price is only good for Black or Daphne Blue, no big deal i wanted Black [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] They told me this model is being Discotinued, I wonder if Tom changed his model or left Fender? Jack.

[ January 04, 2003, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: slayer ]

Comment

Well Slayer, it's good to hear were going to be black Tom Delong Strat Twinkies. Good call on this one. I beleive Fender is cutting this model and maybe a few others. I heard from a Fender dealer that they are putting out 22 fret, 2 point trem Mexican Strats and retaining the Mexican Vintage reissues. From what I understand they are going to put out some rear routed Strats loaded with Floyds. Watch Mtv, Tom Delong may have picked up a sweet endorsement from say, hmmmm.......Paul Reed Smith? Who knows. My theory on the Tom Delong Strat is simply this, the bodies of the 2 I used to have had the weirdest pickup routs I've ever seen. One was routed humbucker at the bridge, humbucker in the middle and single at the neck. The other one was routed hum/single/single like a rear route, but the control cavity was top routed. I figure that the Tom Delong guitars are parts guitars. The bodies were left overs and then painted in Toms favorite colors, the neck from a Deluxe Double Fat Strat were used, hence the C profile, 70's headstrock and vintage tuners. The pickguard was the easy part and the electronics were installed, neck bolted on and there you have it, THE TOM DELONG SIGNITURE STRATOCASTER. I know a little somethin about Toms guitars. He has several. The Fender Custom Shop models he plays have Sperzel locking tuners and American Standard hardtail bridge and the neck has a flat U profile like a Tele. He has a few MIM Strats modified to one humbucker as well as a few USA Strats. I think Fender ran out of B stock bodies and now it would cost them more to produce it. Lets put it this way though, I've played a 60's reissue with only single coil routes, American Std Strat with the swimming pool route and the MIM Strat with H/S/H route and the only difference was the pickups being cheaper, better or vintage so I don't think it effects the tone all that much to be missing the extra wood. It's good to know I got my one hummer for $399 instead of paying upwards to $800 for parts to build one. Let me know when you get yours and tell me what you think. E-mail is [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X