unfinished bodies - opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unfinished bodies - opinions

I recently played a Wayne with an unfinished Mahogany body. It was very comfortable and sounded great. So I'm thinking of picking up a body from Warmoth and doing the same. What are the disadvantages to an unfinished body? Should it be treated with anything (Tung oil?) or just left alone. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: unfinished bodies - opinions

It can get dirty!
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Yeah, finish it with a clear high gloss or clear matte satin finish. You could also finish it with tung oil.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'd go with a clear matte. I had an unfinished neck once and that thing got very dirty. Warpage can be a factor as well. Acids in your sweat can leave a nice ugly stain all over the back and it can spread. God forbid you spill a beer on it.

Comment

sand the body down to about 320 paper, then oil it..Tung oil is great, work it in, then buff the body..it will shine, and the oil will creat a "finish", after a while of oil and buffing it will be good to go..very similar to a Butchers Block they oiled their blocks so the Blood and guts didn't seep into the wood and ruin their cutting boards

Comment

There something about an unfinished body I just dig. My #1 strat has never had a finish on it and its a screamer.
            Tung oil. The dirt adds character, and you can sand it out and re-oil it if it bothers you.

Comment

I just stripped the paint off my guitar and I think it looks cool. Aside from the places where Essex filled in the dents and cracks with polyurethane (???), it looks nice.

Damn you Essex, take care of your damn wood!

Comment

Working...
              X