Hamer Neck Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamer Neck Problem

I have a Hamer Chaparral Custom and the first string has started buzzing so bad on the first fret that it doesn't even make a tone anymore. I had the guitar set up a few months ago and the guy did a great job. But all of a sudden this has started. If I put a finger on the neck by the nut and pull forward on the head stock a little the the open string will play with no buzz. I am afraid I am looking at a major neck repair. It has the standard crack in the neck where the Floyd nut is. Any of you guys have any recomendations?

Re: Hamer Neck Problem

Maybe put a shim under the nut so it's higher on that side.

Has the guitar been subjected to different temperature/climate changes? Maybe it just needs another adjustment.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks toejam, The climate could be the problem. The weather here has been changing alot, 70s one day and high thirties that night, so the air conditioning and heating has been going on and off. The room usually stays cooler than the rest of the house. I have noticed my other guitars going out of tune. The Hamer neck doesn't seem to be as solid as my Charvel, Dean, and Gibson. So this could explain why it is having the problem. The weird thing though is it is only effecting the first string.

Comment

if you're jsut buzzing in that spot, it could be a little twist on the treble side... i was workin on a hamer phantom a few months ago, and it had the same problem. buzzing only on the 1st fret, high E string. i built up the nut slot a bit, and problem solved.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

For a Floyd guitar unscrew the nut bolts and place a well cut little shim (book of matches will do) and slip it underneath the nut at the E string and replace the nut.

Comment

Yeah, cardboard, paper, the clear plastic from a pack of guitar strings will all work fine.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

usually, i'll just slid a bit o tinfoil under there-it's a bit thinner and malleable, so if a matchbook is too thick, you have another option.

if you're tryin to build up a non-locking nut, i filled the slot with superglue, and filed the excess, and recut the nut.

sully

[ January 03, 2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The harder the shim material is, the more tone transfer you'll get. Soft shims {matchbooks, biz' cards, etc.} will suffice but will absorb the tone/sustain. I use are the large "Dorito" style picks, they work great.

Comment

sure, in theory, but have you truly noticed a tone shift after a shim has been introduced in a guitar? not trying to be a punk here, i really want to know... i know i never have.

sully
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sully, what year Phantom did you work on? I just picked up a 1997 with Hamer case with Tunamatic in TV Yellow in awsome condition, you got me really thinking now [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

no idea...it was a customer's guitar. he has a black and a white one...odd though, was that the white one had a 3/3 head, the black one was 6 in a line... odd little guitars, they were.

sully

[ January 03, 2003, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sully, there were 3 eras of phantoms!! Mine is the last of an era. They went thru 6 inline, 3x3,long upper horn, medium upper horn,trems,tunamatics,etc. They were called Pototypes then A5`s,the just Phantoms. Mine is all Mahogany, 3x3,medium upper horn and tunamatic, the nicest of the 3 eras in my opinion and I got an awsome deal on it [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

yes build up the nut on the high E or u could try loosening the truss rod 1/8 of a turn. some necks are made with a slight twist because the thinner strings can use a lower action & this slight twist actually helps.

Comment

Check your truss rod - sometimes a neck will need just a TINY bit of relief to avoid buzzing on the high E and B strings open. I bet if you loosen the truss rod a bit, you'll be fine.

Try that BEFORE shimming the nut...

Pete

Comment

Thanks, I knew I could count on the people here, even if its not a Jackson. What should I use to build up the nut? Thanks again. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X