Dimarzios for an Ibanez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzios for an Ibanez

I've got a '91 RG550 w/ the stock pups that I'm debating on switching out. For those not familiar w/ this axe, it's a double cutaway basswood body, ultra thin Wizard maple neck w/ 24-fret maple board. HSH pickups, Edge double-locking trem. The stock V1-S1-V2 are good, but I'm thinking a little more OOMPH is needed. I've been thinking a PAF Pro for the neck, but I can't decide for the bridge. Perhaps another PAF Pro, maybe a Super Distortion. Tone Zone, Breed and Evolution are also possibilities. I play a wide variety of stuff, but this guitar is mainly for a going to be used for classic rock/hard rock/metal, everything from Boston/Styx/Bad Co to Van Halen/Ratt/Leppard to Vai/Satch/EJ. Amplification includes JCM900, Dual Rec, Boogie IIC+, Matchless, couple Fenders. I've got a gift certificate for a local store and they only carry Dimarzio, so please so Duncan/Anderson/EMG suggestions, please.

thanks in advance

Zero

Re: Dimarzios for an Ibanez

I'd get any of the following combinations:

Bridge = B and Neck = N

Tone Zone = B Humbucker from Hell = N
    Evolution = B Humbucker from Hell = N
    Breed = B Breed = N(I think Breed pickups were made for Basswood)
    Evolution = B Evolution = N(I think that Evolutions were designed to work better with Alder though. Sound great together though)

I like the second and last combinations best... hope this helps...

[ December 25, 2002, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Word ]

Comment

In my USRG I have a PAF Pro (N) and a ToneZone (B). I like the PAF Pro. Its not the best pickup in the world, but its usable. I dont like the ToneZone. I would go with the SuperDistortion in the bridge. It has a lot of kick, unless you play clean on the bridge pickup, then the SuperDistortion bites big time........Word, I dont like the Humbucker from Hell. Its name is way to deceiving.....Kind of like calling the guys in Korn Guitar "players".............

Comment

I know it's name is decieving, and I knew what kind of sound I would be getting if I bought it. I bought it because I like the sound [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Single coil-ish sound with the output of a humbucker. The volume doesn't drop when switched to it either.

Some like it, some don't. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a late 80's RG that I put the Tone Zone in the bridge and the Hum From Hell in the neck and that things screams!! In a Basswood body they do pretty well.
          my $.02

Comment

Working...
          X