Charvel I.D. & 5 way switch replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel I.D. & 5 way switch replacement

As this is my first foray into the "chat room" "message board" or "forum" concept, I apologize beforehand for any protocol errors I may commit.
    I'm trying to ID this Charvel I've been playing for almost 15 years. It's not an expensive model, but it has earned me thousands of dollars over the years, most recently in my hands performing with my band "Tongue & Groove" as the opening act for Mr. BB King.
    This 6 string has a "Strat" body with an unusual pointed headstock. 6 inline fake "Kluson" type tuners w/ "Charvel" written in script. The neck has a roller nut. Neckplate has the classic Charvel "guitar shaped" logo w/ #353948
    I need to replace the 5 way switch, which is the plastic type with 2 pair of 4 soldering posts on one side.
    I.D'ing this axe and finding a replacement switch is the purpose of this writing. Can someone help me? I send Aloha from Kauai. Thanks, SIX STRING WADE

Re: Charvel I.D. & 5 way switch replacement

Welcome to the board. Don't worry apologizing about protocol, spend that time reading the headings, you could ask this in Charvel Imports. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Nonetheless, I believe that what you have is the ST Custom. It was released in 1990 and lasted at least two years. Essentially a strat shaped modern era Charvel from Japan. The purpose of that strange headstock was to use staggered posts that lined up exactly with the strings eliminating the need for a string retainer and reducing friction at that special roller nut. There was a three position mini toggle switch in between the volume and tone knobs that allowed for the activation in or out of phase of the front coil of the bridge pickup. This yielded no less that 15 tone combinations! The Custom had translucent ash bodies with pearloid pickguards, the Deluxe was the same but in solid colors with black pickguards. Endorsers of these guitars included Larry Rolando and Chris Holzhaus.

As far as needing a replacement five way switch, you may need the Jackson JE-005 switch. However, a standard 5 way will work, if you want the closest thing to the original, then the Megaswitch might be the best bet.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Re: Charvel I.D. & 5 way switch replacement

Thank you Charvel 750. I thought I had bought this guitar in '88 or '89, but thanks to you I realize it was after that. Now, where do I turn to purchase that 5 way switch? Mahalo, 6 STRING WADE

Comment

Working...
      X