ESP Mirage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESP Mirage

Has anyone had any experiences w/one of these. I am eying one. The axe in question was made in the 90's w/transparent finishes, a reverse traditional headstock, H/s/s and while some had floyds, this one has a wilkinson with spertzels. I just cant play it before i buy it cuz its on a used guitar site.

Re: ESP Mirage

is it the one that looks like a DINKY those are real nice. or is it rounded like a strat with slightly longer horns those I dont like, kinda like a BAD esp fender mix, if u ask me.

Comment

Its horns are rounded, and I think its a great fenderish looking axe. Have you ever played one, or are you just saying that they suk based on the aesthetics alone? I remember playing one when i was REALLY young, and it was like, my dream axe for a while, so naturally I still want one, and they are harder to find than, say, a black M-II. I think Im gonna jump on this one.

Keepin' the pre'LTD days alive and kickin! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

its depends
        that like most later ESPs if its under $400 its a good guitar for $700+ its a POS. plus i dont like the feel of those necks at all, ide rather have an late 80's american standard strat

i remembert buyin my M-1 custom & pheonix(custom firebird) both were under 500 BRAND NEW

Comment

I like the rounder bodies better, but personally don't like the fact that they only come with 22 frets (though not that big of a deal). I met one of Jack Frost's old guitar techs last year and he had a sweet one that was a natural color with a maple top. Man, I loved that thing! I think they made them up until '95. I think ESP kinda went downhill after that.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

they are good guitars. My first real guitar was an ESP Mirage Custom. I wish I still had it. Everybit as good as a Soloist.

Comment

I wish ESP still had handmade lines other than Sig. Series. All of the rest of it is damn LTDs!!! [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

I've found that their older Japanese-made ESPs can be some great guitars. See if you can verify which exact model of the Mirage it is. It might say "ESP Mirage", "ESP Mirage Deluxe" or "ESP Mirage Custom" on the headstock, and verify the features of the guitar. I have owned an "M2 Deluxe" that was a great guitar, a "KH2" neckthrough version (this on, like some, says "ESP Custom Shop" on the back of the headstock), and a "Horizon Custom", as well as I've played a few other "Custom" series ESPs a friend of mine has had. All of them are very high quality, great-playing and very solid guitars, in my opinion. The "M2 Deluxe" I owned, being just a mid-line in the Japanese-made models at the time, I thought was very high quality all around, just was bolt-on instead of neck-through like the "Custom"s I've got/played. I'd be a little leery of anything that doesn't say at least "Deluxe" or "Custom" in the name, or have the "ESP Custom Guitars" stamp on the back of the headstock (these would be their lower-line guitars for the time), only because I've never really played any of them to know if they are any good compared to the others of the time.

Comment

the transparent blue headstock reads; ESP the Mirage. And it has a wilkinson trem w/spertzels: an upgrade maybe? I dont know, but I would assume its just the most basic, standard version of the fenderish mirage. It is the rounded body with transparent finish on ash I believe. Is $700 to much, cuz' I can never find these anywhere, and I really want to jump on it. TIME FOR [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] CHRISTMAS TIME GOODIES!!!!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

I have owned only TWO ESPees - One of the Les Paul shaped ones I took in on a trade that they discontinued, and THIS Mirage Custom out of the Japanese Custom Shop...They ONLY made about 30 of these in about '86, and it was EASILY as nice as an Ontario Custom Shop Jackson bolt on - I gave around 600 for it and flipped it for around 900, but MSRP in 1986 was $2300.00 on it, and I had Jason at DCGL do a workup of how much one like this {matching headstock, quilt top, gold hardware, Seymour Duncans, etc.} would run NOW, and I STOPPED him at THREE GRAND !!!!...They think A LOT of their stuff, appearently !!!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

That's pretty darn sweet looking Doc. Got any pics of the Les Paul one you had/still got?

Comment

NICE! The one Im getting is a sweet dark teal/blue, just dark enough to let the wood grain come through. I cant wait to crank it up.

Comment

If it's like that one, it's probably a great guitar. The M2 Deluxe that I had and liked, and could kick myself still for selling, had a trans-green finish on swamp ash body, bolt-on neck with rosewood board and abalone dots. Very nice guitar.

The hard thing is, kind of like with Jackson's lines, they've gone through so many very slightly different iterations of different model "level" denotions over the years, it's hard to really pin-point exactly what "level" of guitar any of them are in relation to one another sometimes.

$700 seems pretty high to me for something like that. I paid $500 for the M2 Deluxe I had, and $850 for a Horizon Custom model (neckthrough), and even that I realize was kind of high for what these things normally go for these days, it was just in great shape and exactly what I wanted, so I was willing to pay more. In that sense, "too much" is really only a relative term, relating to just how badly you want something vs. the likelihood of finding that exact thing or acceptable substitute for a cheaper price. If ya really dig it, and it revs your guitar-playin' motor, who cares--money's just money. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

But, you can find old ESPs going for as little as $350 for neckthrough Custom models sometimes...just most of them are pink or yellow hehe. But, they're great guitars, and especially a great deal for anyone thinking about getting a custom graphic, or even to pay to have them just sprayed a different color, you still end up with a great guitar for a great price.

Comment

OMG, that is super sweet, Doc! I think I'm in love!!! [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

A used guitar store in this area had a Mirage Custom neck-thru in stock for quite awhile. It was exactly like a Soloist, except that it had those very square -crowned frets that ESP seems to favor--not very smooth sliding up and down the neck.

It was on sale for $499, and I was tempted...but alas, I let it get away. I prefer Jackson necks, and would rather get another Model 5.

Comment

Working...
                              X