Building my own custom.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building my own custom.

My first thought on this is I'd better wait until I get some experience. However, would it be possible to do this by reading A LOT and asking questions? I'd like to buy a lot of parts from Carvin, all of it seperate, no kits. I hate the kits because you don't get to decide what you want. Any help would be great. Thanx

Re: Building my own custom.

If youre going to build a custom youre better off working with someone on it, particularily cutting for the bridge posts, fitting the neck and wiring the pickups. If you have a good repair shop around, they can help you out, if you tell them they will be paid for doing all the nasty work.

Heres a shot of my Frankenstrat. The neck is Warmoth, which makes awesome necks.
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/krohdes/Warmoth.htm

Comment

Also, I BELIEVE places like Warmoth will pre-cut the body for your pickup/bridge preference to save you the trouble. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.

Comment

troy is right 100% . I have built 3 guitars from warmoth and i still have one and its my fav. Sure it took awhile to get the custom body shapes but its well worth it.

Comment

I intend to one day get a rounded Kramer Voyager, and use it to create my own custom, I will get a Jackson style neck from warmoth with star inlays, and get the body(and the back of the neck) custom painted, add a new trem and p'ups. That is my current goal.

Comment

Go with Warmoth

Carvin stuff is cool but sometimes that cut stuff just for there parts
            like the pickgards and cut for there hums

Comment

Yup, I would agree with Sid on that one. Most Carvin parts work only with other Carvin parts.

Comment

I'm so glad to be a part of this board. Did you know that you guys are the first people I turn to for advice? I live in Idaho, and finding good guitars and advice is harder than hell. You guys really help out, a lot. Trial and error is hardly an option, because almost everything is done by mailorder.

Fck yeah [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] and thanx a million [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

ive built a few mutt guitars & must say if U can find used part necks & bodies on ebay they are usually fine. ive used BCRich gunslinger & st-3, jackson & standard strat bodies with all sorts of necks. most boltons use the fender standard 2 3/16"W 3/4"-5/8"deep 3" long as long as your these necks & bodies use that standard they will fit together perfect.
                  G&L, washburn, yamaha, & a few other brands DO NOT use standard sized neck pockets
                  warmoth has a thrift shop section on there web site thats a great place to find NICE parts fairly cheap. i know they have a few pointy headstocks necks that look real killer IMO.

Comment

Working...
                  X