Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 String.. need some advice..

Hey..

Im really into Morbid Angel lately and Im thinking of buying a 7-string.. I want to tune to Bb or A

Does anyone know a good 7-string around..uhm.. let's say $700..

few things I'd like.. Black hardware and a tremolo.

I don't really care about brand or model at the moment, I just like as many suggestions as possible [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks!

btw, what pups do the guys from Morbid Angel use? Dimarzios of some sort?

[ December 15, 2002, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: After Forever ]

Re: 7 String.. need some advice..

Carvin Dc727.

construction/scale neck through, 25 1/2" scale
    body alder, rounded body edges
    neck Hardrock Maple, graphite reinforced
    neck width 1.91" wide @ nut, 2.6" wide @ 24th fret
    fingerboard ebony (15" radius)
    inlays standard dot
    hardware Chrome
    bridge FT7 feed through body fixed
    frets 24 medium jumbo .103" wide X .048" tall
    pickups C26 7 string humbuckers
    electronics volume & tone, 3 way selector, 2 dual-to-sigle coil switches
    tuners Sperzel™ locking tuners
    standard colors black, white, red, pearl white, pearl red, pearl blue, tung oil, clear gloss
    guitar dimensions 39.5" long, 12.75" wide body, 1.68" thick body
    weight 8 lbs
    Starting price: $649

Many options to choose from.
    Such as woods(alder, ash, mahogany, koa, walnut), inlays(abalone or MOP, block or dot, or none), Trem or fixed bridge, Colors, Hardware colors, Maple or Ebony fretboards, Matching headstock color and woods,LN= locking nut for floyd, etc...

Here's some pics of mine.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/mlkah6.../My%2bDocument s/DC727%2bpics%26.src=bc%26.view=t

Kent
    4 SONG EP NOW AVAILABLE!!
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/HEDDA

www.heddatheband.com

www.myspace.com/heddatheband

Comment

I find most production 7 string to have a thicker neck then I like so I have the back of them shaved down a little. Personally I wouldnt tune down that far unless you have an extended scale length.....that poor 25.5 is doing its best with a b string and even that is unclear sounding to me. B is pretty sketchy already if you ask me. Ive tried alot of seven string pickups and the only one that I like is the emg 707. It clears up the low end a little (dont hope for alot if the guitar is unarticulate when unplugged). You can definately get a decent 7 string for way less than $700.00 btw. Good luck.

Comment

I'm not really into 7-string guitars. The only ones I've played are the Ibanez RG7-620 and the LTD M-107.

Schecter makes 7-strings, BC Rich too. I guess there are many brands that build good 7-strings. And of course Squier! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Anders
        https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

My vote is also for Carvin. I'm thinking of getting one of their 7-strings soon. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I got an Ibanez (ducks away fron screen!)RG7420BP that I really like. I put an elevlution and a tone zone in it and it's sounds great. I have seen them being blown out at around 250-300 new. It got a basswood body.Mine sounds tight with a nice touch of mids (tone zone).I sting it with 11's and a 60 for the low b, tune down a 1/2 step.
            www.kiddhavok.com
            www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Speaking of Squire seven strings.........I have been playing around with one at a local shop. It's basicaly a Strat, with pickguard even and a 2 point trem. I'd have to say it's one of the most comfortable seven stringers I have ever played. I plugged it in and it sounded great with the cheap pickups. Actualy sounded better than the Ibanez RG7420 I used to have. I can't stand em now, that Ibanez I had gave me carpel tunel syndrome. I got rid of it and the syndrome went away. Towards the end I had to wear a wrist brace just to play it. If inexpensive is the bottom line here, the Squire 7 String Strat kicks a$$ for the money. It was $300.

Comment

thnx for the replies. I'll think about it

Comment

You might want to try the Schecter V-7, if you can find one - it fits most of your criteria. The Carvin is a superior guitar - the neck-thru makes a BIG difference in a 7 string - but is a little over your price limit, with a Floyd.

I have an LTD - the H207 - and it's not bad, but set-neck or thru-neck construction really seems to help the projection of the B string, as my CS Soloist 7 has ten times the definition on the B string, even acoustically. The frets didn't exactly knock me out, either...

The Ibanez stuff I've played has been universally (if you'll pardon the pun) flat-sounding, with little low-end character.

Mike
                  Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

You Bastage! Still waiting on those pics Michael! hahahaha Stop making us druel by mentioning that beast! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X