tell me what you think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tell me what you think

Im looking to get another guitar.I want something in the $500 range.I like the hamer phantom and the carvin v220.What is a better guitar?Quality wise I know they are both very good.But for an all out metal guitar what do you think?

Re: tell me what you think

Dean '79 Series. I haven't tried one of their 79s, but have a USA and they are great. The reviews on the 79s have been really good. Dean quality @ import pricing. Might be worth a look.

JK

Comment

I dont know squat about deans.Are the 79 series usa made and if so what is a good price and one to get?

Comment

They are imports - but high quality and supposedly inspected at their US plant before shipped to the dealers. Go to www.Deanguitars.com and check them out. There is a dealer on the message board that is selling them for around $500 with case (I think).

JK

Comment

Also, If you get it let me know what you think.

J

Comment

Hey Paul. I have owned a V220 ( Charvel750 has it now) and the older ones are set necks like a Gibson. They made neck-thru designs to so this is something to consider as well. Alot of the older models were kahlers so this also is a decision to make. I currently have a 1981 Dean Z and I love it. I have been thinking about picking up a 2002 model dean 79 series. These are built in Korea but the quality is unreal. Dean Z/ part owner had current Dean owners work with him to make certain the specs were identical to the original models that were manufactured in the old Chicago plant in 1979... Hence the name "79 series."

Go to the dean site and read the posts in there forum. www.deanguitars.com

As for the Carvin. It is a great guitar as well and the choice will ultimately be yours. The plus to the dean is that you can go to a music store and check it out and it will be new.

Carvin stopped making the v220 some time in the early 90's.

Good Luck!

Comment

Hey chris,I went to the dean website and gave it a gander.I like the guitars but theres something about those HUGE ugly headstocks that gets to me.Do me a fovore go to ebay if you have time and go under dean at around the 5th or 6th one down you will see a dean v going for $410 its buy it know only the one that is all mahagony.Let me know what you think.thanks paul..

Comment

Oh yea chris I almost forgot I cant sell the lee jackson head.I just cant bring mysely to let it go.Thank god the guy that was going to buy it had to back out of the deal.The thing is just to great sounding.

Comment

I miss it. I have my rectifier now but that head has a tone all its own.

Comment

The white 79 series? That is the going rate on ebay for a new one right now. There is also a sunburst one that is going to end soon with the same price on it. Saweet! I love the headstock on those. I used to not but it grew on me. I love the z's (explorer shape) that they put out! I wish I had the scratch to by Chuckracers Z. He has a USA time cpsule for sale for $1050. These were made in Fl. Good luck brutha!

Comment

I certainly second the 79' Dean option. I have a Korean set-neck ML and that guitar kicks some a@@! They really do have some great build quality for set-neck stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X