opinions on Gibson SG-X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions on Gibson SG-X

Any thoughts on the Gibson SG-X? I have a line on a used one, and wanted to know if any of you guys played one before, and also what a good price would be. It's basically a stripped down SG with 1 humbucker and 24 frets with dot inlays.

It played pretty well, and is super-light (seemed almost fragile-light!) Heres's a pic with specs from the Gibson site plus a recent eBay auction of one.

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/SG/SG-X.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...927799047&rd=1
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Re: opinions on Gibson SG-X

If you are bent on an SG, save some more money and go for an SG Standard. You'll be glad you did.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

its kinda crappy, ide try & find a an SG-Z. i just sold my SG-Z they are far superior to the SG-X. built on 61 re-issue specs small neck joint & nicer bevels, but 24 fret/ double diamond inlays, string thru body, factory grovers. but there is a big price difference i sold mine for $700 & have seen them go for as much as $850, the sg-x usually can be had for half that

Comment

Wasn't the Tommy Hilfiger SG an actual limited production model? I remember seeing a bunch of them around the stores in this area in the mid-late '90s. It might not simply be a sticker in that event. Is the guitar a very dark blue? That was the color of all the Hilfiger SG's I saw. I thought the logo was part of the finish on those guitars.

And yes, the idea of a Hilfiger SG is extremely stupid! What next, the Ralph Lauren Explorer or the Versace Les Paul???

Remember how they used to release the "designer series" Lincoln Continentals? Ugliest damn things--I still laugh whenever I see one of those jaunty blue and white late '70s Bill Blass Mark V's driving around! Of course, they are becoming collector's items...

Comment

yes it was

Comment

As a matter of fact it is a dark blue so this might be one of those limited SGs. I figured it was a sticker since I didn't think someone would actually make it this way! Also, the Hilfiger logo was partially removed or attempted to be removed by someone else. I'll have to take a closer look at it tomorrow.

It also doesn't have the stock 500-T Gibson pickup instead it had a Seymour Duncan logo'd bucker. It does have the half-moon style Grover tuners on it, which are nicer than most, but the whole thing might not be worth it.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it!
            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

After a little net surfing, I found a pic here:

http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/buddylee/

It's a cool color blue, but that logo must go!

Comment

Well, I'm not really hell-bent on getting one, but I always thought they were cool guitars. I'm kinda particular with the aesthetics on them, as I don't like the super-large pickguards that encompass the pickups. I like with the smaller-type guards and this particular one doesn't have any.

I was actually there to check out a Charvel model 6 but that was gone, so I just picked up the SG and was pleasantly surprised on how well it played. I was able to lower the action down with the thumbwheels without any buzzing. I think a 61 reissue in a wine red finish is the be all, end all for SGs, but that's some big bux. This one is priced at $300, but there's one major aesthetic problem: someone place a GIANT Tommy Hilfigure sticker that covers the most of the top behind the bridge. I don't know how easily this can be removed without damaging the finish.

Comment

The sticker should come right off with some careful WD40 application, then wash immdeiately with soap and water, so the oil doesn't damage the clearcoat . Most of those finishes are so friggin' hard, anyway, that you can't hurt them with anything but a chisel or turpentine, in my experience.

I played a couple of these, thought they were pretty decent guitars. For $300, eh, see if you can get them to come down a bit - tell 'em the sticker will f*ck up the paint, or something. Unless you really like it - $300 isn't really that much for a guitar of good quality...

Mike
                  Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I checked it out again during lunch today. And unfortunatley, it's not a sticker but actually a painted logo underneath the finish. It actually looked like a sticker to me at first because someone place a bumper sticker on top of most of the logo, then peeled it off leaving a bunch of sticker residue on it.
                    Also, someone chipped away at the finish at one of the letters, probably to see if it could easily be removed, but nope, that suckers painted on!

Anyway, thanks for the info, pro-fusion. Based on the condition and logo, I'm gonna pass this one up. If anybody's interested in it, Let me know and I'll point you toward it.

Comment

Offer them $275 and make them throw in some sand paper. Still a cheap price for a USA Gibson. Then go for that natural look and spray a little satin coat over it to protect it. Souns like fun.

Comment

Hopefully, it is a sticker on the outside of the clearcoat finish. I think the sticker "Gibson" logo is outside the finish, so perhaps the Hilfiger logo is, as well. Other than the logo, that is a sweet looking guitar, though I'm not a big SG fan anymore.

Comment

Working...
                        X