guitar under 600?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guitar under 600?

Hey guys and gals, I'm looking to buy a new axe shortly after Christmas and am looking for some suggestions. Since I live in West Bumblef**k, I don't have a great selection to try out. I'm looking for something with HH config, fixed bridge, mahogany or similar body. Basically, a poor man's Les Paul. So far I am looking at maybe one of those new "worn finish" gibsons, maybe an LTD Eclipse, or the Ibanez AR?? series. I'm open to any suggestions, as long as it is well made, nice looking, and versatile. Of course it should sound good too! Anyone have any experience with these guitars? Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: guitar under 600?

1st go to ww.musiciansfriend.com. Look up Schector guitars. The model is the C-1 Staelth. It's got a clack arch top Strat style body made of mahogony, 2 real Seymour Duncan Humbuckers, a Distortion in the bridge and a 59 in the neck. It has a string through bridge with a tone pros bridge piece, 1 volume and 1 tone and 3 way Les Paul toggle switch, 24 frets and a set maple neck. Realy nice. All for a mere fee of $499

I have played the C-1 and it smokes, but this C-1 Stealth should be some excellent bang for the buck. It also has white/black/white binding on the body, neck and headstock.

If that aint cool enough, check out a Jackson DKMG. It comes in a hardtail, but it's not mahogony. It has an alder body and a maple bolt on neck. They rock too.

Let us know.

SARJ aka Jon Villaobos

Comment

You want USA made and features you can customize? Then order a Carvin! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If youre looking for a Les Paul, there is no subsistute for a Gibson or a Heritage.......A used Studio or H150 Heritage should fit yer budget and yer needs.........

Comment

yamaha weddington...i think that was the name. setneck or neckthru, mahogany, maple top, 2 hum & great guitars

Comment

I'd agree with the Carvin advice, but you won't be able to get a new one for under $600. You could get a used Carvin SC-90 on eBay for way under that, though.

But for new axes, I agree with the Schecter advice for what you are looking for. Check out the C-1 Classic, which is a neck-thru mahogany guitar with maple archtop that you should be able to get for right around $600. They have real Seymour Duncans, and a tunomatic bridge. A pretty good deal in today's market--I've been considering one myself, although I have approximately $0 to spend at the moment... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion:
              I'd agree with the Carvin advice, but you won't be able to get a new one for under $600. You could get a used Carvin SC-90 on eBay for way under that, though.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion:
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">A Bolt with hardtail is $539 and with Wilkinson trem is $579.

An SC90, DC125, DC135, DC145 are $619 with hardtails, $659 with Wilkinsons, $719 with Floyds.

TL60 is $609 hardtail, $649 with Wilkinson.

All are with standard chrome hardware and standard alder bodies/maple necks. That's a very good price for USA made guitars, if you ask me. If you want upgradeable features, you'll pay a little more. Though, with their half-off deal on all options, you still get a pretty great deal! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ December 12, 2002, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]

Comment

Check out an RG550 at www.musiciansfriend.com

Those look real cool.

Comment

I very happy with my Fernandes Ravelle.
                    It's a Lp style guitar. Just slightly modified.
                    Can be found for around $600 + or -. Keep an eye on Ebay.

Here's pics of mine.
                    http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/mlkah6...6.dir=/My%2bDo cuments/Fernades%2bRavelle%26.src=bc%26.view=t

Here's one from the fernandes website.

Specs:
                    Construction: Set Neck
                    Body: Carved Maple Top, Mahogany Body
                    Neck: Mahogany
                    Fingerboard: Rosewood, 24 3/4" Scale
                    Frets: 22 Large
                    Nut: Graphite 1 11/16"
                    Bridge: Tune-O-Matic Style Bridge
                    Pickups: Neck: Seymour Duncan® Jazz Humbucker
                    Bridge: Seymour Duncan ® JB Humbucker
                    Features: Carved Maple Top On A Mahogany Body, Set Neck, Body Binding, Neck Binding, Split Trapezoid Inlays
                    Colors: Wine Red Flm., Black, Honey Burst

They also make the Monterey Deluxe and Elite.
                    Which are more traditional shaped. Specs are the same as the ravelle except the Elite has a Sustainer PU in the neck position.

I'm also a Carvin fan. Own 4 of them. Dc127, dc200, dc400, dc727. Great quality guitars.
                    From others, I've heard that the SC90 with mahogany neck and body tends to sound closer to an SG or LP special than an actual LP.
                    Also keep an eye on carvins instock section on their webpage. Sometimes the have some great deals on instock guitars.
                    Carvin are in the works on coming out with a Carved top model. What shape? They havent said yet.

Kent

[ December 12, 2002, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: k65h ]
                    4 SONG EP NOW AVAILABLE!!
                    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/HEDDA

www.heddatheband.com

www.myspace.com/heddatheband

Comment

Buy a used USA Jackson or USA Hamer dude, both guitars are awsome [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

I second the used Hamer idea.

How about a Charvel 750XL?

Comment

Yeah, if you want to go the eBay route, a Charvel 750xl would be perfect for what you want, as would a Jackson Soloist Archtop Professional.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I know i can get a used guitar at a great deal, but since I'm in no rush, I want to buy a *NEW* guitar so i can pick the color and what not. Every other guitar I have bought has been used, except my HM strat which was a "last one" kind of deal, so I have never really had the opportunity to get exactly what I wanted. I guess I 'll have to actually wait until I have the money and take the time to drive a few hours to a big music store like GC or Sam Ash. Thanks again!

Comment

Check out an RG550 at www.musiciansfriend.com
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I believe he's looking for a hardtail. I think the Carvins are probably a pretty good deal for the money or go used on Ebay. You should be able to find something decent for under $600. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X