Charvel TX Custom-Would like some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel TX Custom-Would like some advice

I own a Charvel TX Custom--everything stock--that I'm not particularly happy with. I bought it back in 93 or 94, forget when exactly. At the time I was still playing some metal, though I now play a mostly southern rock/blues style. I also own a Fender Strat that I also bought in 93. Unfortunately, the neck on my Strat began warping several years ago. It's now almost totally unplayable--intonation can't be set, strings have to be really high off the neck, etc. I will replace the Strat with a new one at some point, but can't swing it right now.

I'd like some idea of what I could expect from swapping my fender pickups into the TX Custom. Would it really alter my sound, in what way, and how drastically do you think? I'm looking for a warmer tone than the jackson pickups seem capable of (they seem bright to me) and better sustain using a clean to lightly distorted style. I run through a Fender Super 210 with a Marshall Drive Master.

Also, if anyone knows of a method for unwarping a neck, I'm all ears.

Re: Charvel TX Custom-Would like some advice

Drow59 I also have TX Custom and I usually change out all the stock pickups but not on this guitar. For me the 3 pup's and the push/pull knob on the tone control give me so many sound combinations to choose from. I'm sure the fender pickups would change the sound of the guitar but how much I don't know. I was wondering what color your guitar is and if it has a maple or rosewood finger board.
    RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
    CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
    Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
    Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

Wow mine is identical except mine has maple fingerboard! I take all my guitars to local shop and have them set up. This usually includes pickup height adjustment. I just took a close look at my guitar and It looks like to me the neck pickup sits lower than the fingerboard and I love the way it sounds! You can do the BLUES THANG with it! The middle & bridge pickups sit a little higher up from body but maintain same space from strings. My serial# is 383736 was wondering if yours is close to it. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
      RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
      CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
      Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
      Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

It's black with mother of pearl pickguard, white border around top of body, rosewood fingerboard.

Have you altered the pickup height at all on yours?

[ December 25, 2002, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Drow59 ]

Comment

384915 What kind of amp do you normally run it through?

I need to go in this weekend and get mine intonated badly. I'm still on the fence about switching out pups. I really don't believe they will make a noticeable difference. When I play my strat (well, in as much as I can play it now) and then play the Charvel, without an amp, I can hear just how much of each guitar's sound is coming from the wood itself that I can't imagine the pups having much effect. To me, the Charvel is too ... shrill. High notes sound weak. I've tried going up to 11's, raising the strings, but nothing gets away from that shrill tone. And I use a Fender tube! But, I'm going to go in this weekend and talk to my local maintenance guy and see if he has any suggestions.

Comment

I'm pretty happy with mine stock. It's almost sort of mellow sounding to me, compared to some of my other guitars. But I play alot of alt rock....the TX Custom is the one I haul to open blues jams when I want to do 'something else'.

If I were to swap out p/u's in ANY guitar, I wouldn't go with Fenders. I like Seymour Duncans. BUT you *have* Fenders already that are sitting on a chunk of firewood. I'd say get the soldering iron and the heat shrink tubing out and have a whack at it. One way to find out how it'll sound!

Comment

Working...
            X