Ampeg PortaBass Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg PortaBass Combo

Has anyone played one of the new Ampeg PortaBass Combos or cabs. I'm tired of lugging my 15 & 2 10's around with a head. I'm looking to get a lightweight combo with enough power for small gigs, with capabilities to line out for bigger gigs if needed. I'm hopeing the PortaBass will do. (By the way, one of my 4 basses is a U.S. Jackson JJ-love the ballsy tone!)

Thanks for any info,
    Dino

Re: Ampeg PortaBass Combo

a friend of mine had a small ampeg combo i used a little while but i'm not sure if it's the combo you're asking about. i had a lot of different tone settings and had an xlr out to plug into the mixing board. 1 15" speaker and i'm thinking about 40 watts output. it was a killer little amp for the size.sure did beat lugging my main rig to small clubs and parties.
    The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

What's your main rig Peabuddy?

Comment

The one I'm talking about is a 250 watt 12" combo. It only weighs 45 lbs. They retail for $1400, but Musician's Friend has them on sale for $599. I went to the local ampeg dealer to test one. He didn't have one, and he couldn't find one at any other of their other stores. He said he could get me one for $1049. (yea right!) I want to know if they are powerful enough to gig with, and if they still have that ampeg sound.

Comment

boxcar, i'm currently using a peavey maxbass preamp and an ada b500 power amp with a jbl loaded woodworks 15" scoop and a legion 2 10" cab for highs. the ada amp is designed for bass biamping ,it got 325 watts for low end and 275 for the high end. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I went ahead and ordered one of the PortaBass amps. I got it today. Man, I'm glad Musicians Friend has a money back guarantee. Tone was great unless you geat around an A, high or low. It buzzes and rattles at that frequency. I tried 3 different basses just to see if it wasn't sting buzz. I see why the put them on sale. The amp actually sunded pretty good, but not 250 watts worth of volume. Called and told them I'm sending it back. I'm just gonna get a couple of compact Yorkville 15s, and use my Yorkville b400h head with those. Not as small as the PortaBass, but smaller than I have now.

Comment

Hey Peabuddy that sounds like a nice rig. My old bassist had a Peavey Dynabass head or something and used an Ampeg 8x10 cabinet. That was a decent setup, then he started using his dad's Ampeg B2R head, which sounded freakin awesome...I loved that head.

Comment

i hear ya' willie. i jammed with some old friends sat night and played through mark's ampeg svt 350 watts with 8 10 cab. if i can remember to take my cam to practice' i'll post a pic of my rig

Comment

finally remembered to take a cam to practice. here's my rig boxcar http://img5.photobucket.com/albums/v...y/IMAG0029.jpg
                  http://img5.photobucket.com/albums/v...y/IMAG0030.jpg

Comment

Nice setup...I like the chains theme. One thing though-tack up some sheetrock to cover that insulation...R-13 makes my arms itch just thinkin about it!!

Comment

laney do a small wedge style bass amp that sounds excellent to my ears, obviously needs to be di'd/miced up for live, but if you're looking for something small, you could do worse than check them out. sorry can't remember what model it is, but it gave a really good clanky tone if that's what you like (never tried anythingelse on it myself)

Comment

Working...
                      X