where to find learning of bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to find learning of bass

i want to learn a few things to just goof around with a bass but have no idea where to start. any suggestions?
    also, i have noticed most bass players use the index and bird finger to pick with but i am missing my bird finger. any other techniques i havent seen ?

Re: where to find learning of bass

Try using your thumb and play slap style, or use a pick.
    Sorry to hear about your "bird finger". What happened, flip off the wrong guy?

Comment

circle, i lost both my bird and ring fingers a few yrs back in an industrial accident. a guy on a forklift drove by and hit the saw i was working on and that caused the blade to be shoved into my hand, chewing up 2 fingers.
      i am pretty much adapted to it now and it dont bother me much, other than trying to do that 2 finger walk that bass players do [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      any suggestions for a bass that is cheap in price but not so cheap in playabality?

Comment

chopper, how much of those fingers are missing? do you have full use of the rest? have you tried using index and pinky? probably take some getting used to, but it would be worth it.as for a bass, there's a couple of 3bs on the 'bay now at decent prices
        The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

The power-tab website has a lot of lessons you can download. You will have to download the power-tab editor software first.
          I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

lost them down to 2nd joint, so while my kids really hate turkey torture now, other than that they are really useless. my pinky is still there but has nerve damage so i dont have full control of it. i am pretty much down to thumb and index fingers on that hand. at least i still can hold a pick,so i play left handed.
            guess i shoulda mentioned that to begin with, sorry bout that.
            so on the bay there are several lefty bass guitars but are not jackson. any thoughts on non jackson basses as far as whats worth the money?
            the idea of useing a pick i have thought about and the idea of just useing my thumb like a slap player with my index finger sounds better tho.

Comment

will try that as well when i finally buy a bass.

seems lefty anything with chavel or jackson on it is a rare bird, one of the reasons i want to try it out before i search out a lefty and invest in one. i have really never seen a lefty c/j so if i enjoy playing bass i will most likely have to order one,which is why i was looking into a low priced lefty for a starter.

Comment

A lot of bassists look down on guys who use picks, rather than fingers, but screw 'em. I find that using a pick gives me a better recorded tone, especially for faster, intricate heavy metal bass lines. And Chris Squire seems to have done pretty well using a pick, wouldn't you say?

As far as getting a left-handed bass, I would think a Fender or Squier would be the easiest to find, since there are just so darn many of them out there to begin with...

Comment

pro fusion i didn't even think about those. i've been told the mexican fenders are really good buy as they are pretty good quality for the money i just can't stand front routed guitars

Comment

sorry, i didn't realize it was your left hand.left handed jacksons seem to be few and far between. when i was playing thrash, i used fender heavy triangle picks with one corner rounded off. the round corner was good for the really fast stuff and the pointed ones for cleaner attack. plus it was easy to hold cause they're big! here's one http://img5.photobucket.com/albums/v...buddy/pick.jpg

Comment

i agree on both accounts, screw the ones that look down on ya for useing a pick,i would flip them a half a bird finger i got left, called the humminbird by most that have had it flipped at them [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      and i really hate front routed guitars too but to learn on i may end up havin to buy one.

Comment

I'd do a search on ebay for a Carvin bass. If you look they can be had for about 300 for a neckthrough fantastic bass.

Comment

found this one on the bay. any ideas on it ? i like this one. carvin bass

Comment

i know 75 bucks for shipping is INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

i sent him an email asking about it and offering to pay actual shipping. dont know about one pup not working.

Comment

Working...
                              X