My first bass (HELP!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first bass (HELP!)

I am planning on buying a bass to have around so I can learn to write some of my own bass lines. Can anyone suggest a good first bass for me to get? I really want a Jackson but dont know enough about bass to know what features to look for.

Thanks, Don

Re: My first bass (HELP!)

Jackson is a great company for guitars, and makes alright basses. I think the best for you money bass is the GT-4 Conklin. Find the Conklin site and look under groove tools. I think some tips you should know is that buy a bass that feels good to YOU, not what someone else says. IF you check out Conklin and don't like the feel don't get it because I said it was great (obviously). Second, look for basses that are equipped with quality components and made well. It's all about preference and how much money you are willing to spend.

Good things don't come cheap.

Comment

I bought a Schecter Stiletto Elite 4-string bass in December, and that baby is sweet. That is my first bass, and three months later, I am still in love with the thing.

You might try looking at some of the other offerings in the Schecter line as well. My Stiletto is a neck-through body, but the next line down from it, the bolt-on series, has gotten excellent reviews as well. I tried one, but the tone on the Stiletto was better, so I went with that one. Plus, I am a fan of neck-through guitars.

- E.
      Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

I had a Peavy Fury, LTD F-205, Ibanex Soundgear and a Jackson Concert Series Bass. Looks EXACTLY like the one in the new catalog. All I gotta say is I switched to guitar but I really miss that Jackson!

Comment

Get the Jackson CMG or an older 1990's Concert V 5-string. Bolt on basses have a brighter tone than neckthroughs, which can often sound darker or muddy than they should (unless you're doing something that doesn't require articulated or clear bass tones).

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

IMO, the best buy in basses right now are the 3b charvel model series. they're neck thru with active electronics. i have 4 of them and they play as good as my san dimas jackson neck thru. usually you can get them on the bay for under 300 bucks. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

If you can afford one I recommend Music Man.The necks are awesome. Ebay sometimes has good deals. An old G&L is also a great choice,there not that expensive.Mike.

Comment

If you can find one a Spector NS-2A is a great bass . THey're like the USA model neck thru and curved body. They have black hardware vs gold,dot vs block inlays and EMG Hz vs real EMG's. They go for a little over $300.

Comment

There are lots of cheap basses that are pretty good. I bought my wife a new Yamaha for under $200 and it's...well it's a bass. They all feel pretty much the same to me, but then again I'm not a bassist.
                  I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Working...
                  X