KB1 report & questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KB1 report & questions

Hi guys, just got in my 2nd KB1 and figured I'd share. Also have a couple of questions.

This one is made in Japan instead of India, and it appears the wood and most of the hardware is much better quality. The Japanese hardware is like a powder finish pewter color instead of chrome, but the tuners seem better (i.e. smoother and less glitchy) on the Indian model. This one also has dot inlays instead of sharkfin - which is the only thing I'm really disappointed about. The rosewood fretboard is certainly much better quality, as is the neck wood grain and oil finish on the back of the neck. The bridge is thicker metal with apparently more mass, and has the standard Fender type 4 inline mounting screws while the Indian bridge was the economy style with a screw at each corner. The Japanese nut is thinner than the Indian and looks to be much more easily replaceable with a standard part. The neck plate on the Japanese has the serial number engraved, while the Indian had a stick on paper label with the serial number on it.

Just FYI, the Indian KB1 was a factory 2nd I got from an Ebay scamhouse called Guitarweb and is going back for a full refund.

Now I have some questions if someone here can help me. First, I already have a set of right-angle allen wrenches but not a right-angle nut driver. What size nut driver do I need for the truss rod? It looks close to a 7mm but I can't fit a standard socket all the way into the cavity to be sure.

Second, the pan pot is glitchy, same as on the Indian. What type of pot should I use as a replacement to get a smooth transition between pickups?

Lastly, did all the Japanese models have dot inlays? I like this one, but if I can find a Japanese made with sharkfin inlays I may continue looking.

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Mitch

Re: KB1 report & questions

Congrats! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] MIJ Jacksons ROCK!

As far as the inlays go, all the P/J style Kelly basses I've seen have dots. My KBX has sharkies, but it's kind of a moot point in my eyes anyway. Dots are cool, too. Enjoy your new acquisition and good luck with those pots! Let us know how your Quarter + Hot combo sounds when you get it in! And post pics. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: KB1 report & questions

I hate to double-post, but I found a couple of basses on eBay that are right up your alley.

Item 2370381667 and Item 2369547775 are BOTH shark-fin P/Js...

What country were they made in? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I have no idea what to make of these things... since you've had such lousy experiences with MII KBs and we've both had good experiences with MIJ, it's might be worth noting the nation of origin.

Comment

Working...
      X