Whats a good starter bass ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats a good starter bass ?

Im looking to pickup a bass and an tiny bass amp for preferably less than 300 dollars for the bass and 100 for the amp.

Could someone recommend me a bass ? I was thinking some of the charvels look pretty good !

Re: Whats a good starter bass ?

I was just at my cousin's store ..He's a Samick and Fernades dealer ...both make nice basses for the buck ....especially a Samick I played ..pretty cheap..!!!

You can find an old Peavey combo ...for about a buck or less...

Also Carla Bello make very cheap ...but nice basses as well ...and they are made in New York....less than two hundred bucks ...new.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm not exactly a fan of PV, but their used basses are exceptionally cheap, and they arent that bad. Foundations from the late 80's early 90's usually go for about $100, and they are US made, with 2 pickups..........

Comment

any of the model series charvels are usually good buys and are great players (though bill thinks they suck!) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
        The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Yes they do ....seriously if you played one of those and then pick up that new Samick I was playing ...you guys would agree...I'm thinkin' of buyin' one myself...they are that nice...list is 299..I was having a lot of fun playin' the sh!t out of it ...I couldn't put it down..damn thing practically played itself and they have a great tone as well...best bass for the buck I ever tried ..

I wish we had this kinda stuff when I was a kid ...I owned some horrible basses starting out....then some of the nicest like Pedulla , Ken Smith , Alembic , Kubicki and so forth ..

I don't own a bass right now ...just doin' the guitar thing right now ..

But I'm buying a bass set up soon

I know what I want ...The Carvin Red eye stack w 1-18 and 4-10 and a new G&L 2000 like I always owned the last 12 years ....tried and true and simply the best imo....at any price

The G&L active pickups are the coolest sounding Bass pups in the world ...nothing I heard comes close ...really!

[ October 20, 2003, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Can someone educate me on the tonal differenced between a fretless and fretted bass ? Why would one opt for fretless ? just the look ?

Comment

No No fretless has it's own distinctive feel and tone ...Alot of cool players used them like Tony Franklin and Steve DiGiorgio...they have a waivering , warm . buzzy tone to them ....very smooth slide ...almost like a slide ..you can actually hit notes and harmonics in between half steps....you can go from a mild vibrato to out right drunk sounding ...I like 'em.

Nothing like a fretted at all ....I don't recommend a fretless for a first bass...even if it does have postion markers..

Comment

Gotcha, I figured it would probably be a bit much. Ive upped my budget for a bass to under 600 shipped (unless is happens to be that rare ESP ive been lusting over). Ive decided to atleast get something im content with rather than a pos.

So im thinking a carvin.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4713

maybe something like that.

Now in terms of amp, im more limited spacially than financially. Is there anything good and small for indoor practicing ? And by small I meen, Smaller than my mesa boogie studio .22

Comment

paddok, if you like that carvin , you should consider a charvel 3b. they are neck thru with active electronics and can be bought for less than 400 robl had one in the classifieds recently(if i had the money available it would be mine!)
                  it is mint and i think he was only wanting 350 shipped.if you ever play one you'll love it. my 3b's necks feel just like my san dimas jackson neck thru. if i closed my eyes(and didn't plug in to the amp, the sd has emgs) i couldn't tell the difference!the style of music you want to play will probably make a difference in you r decision though. bill doesn't like j/c cuz he more a slap type player. but as a finger player( no slap/pop)i wouldn't play anything else. btw, bill, what is/was you bass rig setup?

Comment

I had the Cravin pro bass 100 wt. red eye stack w/ the 1-18 and 4-10 cab ....very nice system ...the best in my book!!!!

for basses ..I had a ken Smith Burner / G & L 2000 / Pedulla / Kubicki x factor / '76 alembic exploiter (explorer) model ...

The G&L 2000 was my fave and my main baby ...those active pups are the best... [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

I had a beautiful ric ...that played great but I thought it really sounded dead..

I use to have an original Ampeg SVT with eight ten cab ...then an Ampeg SVTII with the ampeg 4-10 and 1-18 cab ....it was ok ....not for the money..

also the Hartke xl 1-15 and 4-10 cabs i owned until I had to crank them over a drummer ....what pieces of lightwieght garbage those are ....they fart , pop , flap!!!! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, ide be playing metal. mostly.

I don't know diddly squat about basses, so any advice (esp metal-wise (horns666?)) is well appreciated !

Comment

man i bet the exploiter is killer!

Comment

get newc's winger bass on the bay

Comment

YEAH, that should be a nice player.

[ October 26, 2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: peabuddy ]

Comment

Bill, Whats wrong with the Hartke cabs? I was gonna go with Hartke or Ampeg..810 most likely..

Ox

Comment

Working...
                              X