Kelly bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly bass

Nosediver. You will need a wide leather strap unless you wanna hold the neck up while you play, which will get tiring on a bass very quickly.
    My ex-bassist had one, and while it looked cool and sounded great, it was in dire need of strap-pin-relocation.

If you move the strap pins to the outer edge of the neck pocket and closer to the top of the rear edge of the body, it should balance better, but IMO the body is not large enough nor heavy enough to keep the neck from nosediving.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Kelly bass

I do agree with NEWC on the nose-dive. I got used to it quickly. A wide leather strap will help. I have several Kelly basses, some with different strap button locations and they all tend to dive. The Kelly is my favorite bass though. Just takes a little getting used.

The new electronics in the imports really don't resemble the Fender P/J passive tone you mentioned your after. But the look is great!

Comment

How are they different? There's an excellent chance I would swap the pups out anyway.

I've had great experience with Quarter Pounders from Seymour Duncan Basslines, so maybe I could try them if the tone of the stocks is a bit too thin (is it?).

Regarding nose-dive: That'll take some getting used to, but if it's truly the biggest mark against the instrument, then that's a good sign. If you could say any ONE thing that's bad about a bass... nosedive isn't a huge problem in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

The new KBX series is not a p/j set up. They are active. I'm not very fond of the new preamps in them. I had one of the KBX series and it was not for me. There is an older KB-1 (p/J set up) over at G-base you can get reasonable. Of course there is EBAY to keep an eye on for a KB-1. Put the set up you like in it and your set.

Rob

Comment

Sweetness. I hate to ask, because I'm sure you guys are sick of my newbish questions, but do you have any pics? Also, what styles do you use yours for? Is it comfortable OUTSIDE of the nosedive problem?

EDIT: Also, I was aware that the newer models had actives as opposed to passives. But as long as the P/J models have decent electronics, I'm good to go (at least until I can get some new Duncans). I would only consider the P/J models anyway, because that's the sound I'm going for.

[ September 14, 2003, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: Black Mask ]

Comment

Kelly bass

I'm thinking of getting a new bass, and one of the ones I'm considering is a Kelly. Does anyone here have any experience with those basses? I'm looking for something that resembles my current Fender P/J tonally (ie, P/J passives) but with a cooler look and equally solid construction. Any thoughts?

Comment

Jackson makes an import model bass that looks like an old Concert Bass that might be more up your alley, Nightwing, as far as the Fender stuff goes.

Comment

follow up...it's called the CMG Concert Bass.

Comment

Never mind all that. I just got home from the Jackson shop and I think I've officially changed my mind.

I tried out one of the newer KBX models with active electronics and it blew my mind. Super comfortable and more power and versatility than I hoped for. I will have to sleep over it, but I'm thinking I might ditch my plans of a P/J passive and go with the KBX. I will still have my old P/J with the Duncans that I can turn to for passive tones.... an active would diversify my arsenal.

Man, I want that axe. Unfortunately, it costs a wee bit more than I was expecting to pay. Oh, the decisions.

P.S. - After trying one, I can honestly say I'm more pleased with Kelly basses than I thought I'd be.

Comment

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to call and confirm it's still there tomorrow.

Comment

I just bought it! Oh yeah! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

so? We don't see pics tout suite, then we don't believe you [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Congrats

Now let's see some pics.
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

They'll be here in a few days (hopefully).

Comment

Working...
                          X