Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel model and bridge adjustment

Hello all,
    Bought it around mid 1980s, could be 1987, '88. Has white Charvel label on black head, Forth Worth TX plate with serial # plate on back of neck at top of body, jackson pickups (2 short pickups overlapping and 1 long one near bridge), and 3 controls (volume, treble, and bass, I think). Does anyone have a guess on the model and if it is a fairly good guitar?

Also, if it ain't too much to ask, how does one go about adjusting the bridge on it? I just replaced the 'D' string and noticed the spring near it loose (string 4 is a little loose too), but the rest seem tight. Maybe just tighten until it gets a little tight? Rather not try that without some help.

Hope you can help.

From the heavy menthol,
    bassmint (hee, hee)

Re: Charvel model and bridge adjustment

Welcome to the board!
    Is it a Soloist or Strat style body?

Comment

sounds like a 2b to me.should be a good starter bass.i'm assuming you're talking about the spring on the intonation adjustment screw.this spring applies pressure to the saddle to maintain the adjustment screw setting. once intonation is set, the tension from the string should hold it.bassically(pun intended)use this screw to make the open note and the 12th fret note the same,though an octive apart.get your local music store put a fresh set of strings on and set it up and get ready to jam.bass players here are severely out numbered so welcome aboard! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ March 30, 2003, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: peabuddy ]
      The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Originally posted by bassmint:
        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by peabuddy:
        sounds like a 2b to me.should be a good starter bass.i'm assuming you're talking about the spring on the intonation adjustment screw.this spring applies pressure to the saddle to maintain the adjustment screw setting. once intonation is set, the tension from the string should hold it.bassically(pun intended)use this screw to make the open note and the 12th fret note the same,though an octive apart.get your local music store put a fresh set of strings on and set it up and get ready to jam.bass players here are severely out numbered so welcome aboard! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Unfortunately I do not know what type of body it has. I do know it is solid, red, and looks like the logo on the headpiece. I have an electronic tuner and I know how to replace strings, so I rather tune this spring myself, that's why I asked in the first place. I think I can do it. I will follow instructions and hope I do not mess it up (not to worry, I am fairly handy). Played mainly alone and never got into the mechanics of guitars.

Thanks.

From down under cooley,
        bassmint...
        </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi again,
        Something is not right (I know you told me so). I found the tag that came
        with the bass. The closest description for the controls seem to go
        with the 3B model circuitry. I paid something like $250 for it, new. I
        always enjoyed playing it, except, to tell you the truth, it will never
        beat my old Hofner (Beatle Bass, fake though), really smooth and the
        lightest strings I've ever played. Well, to tell you the truth I only
        played about 5 bass guitars, and my Hofner had the lightest strings to
        the touch and light-weight too. It has no serial number so it most likely
        is a bootleg, or whatever they call an imitation. Unfortunately I dropped
        it many years ago and the neck broke off. Then I had it working for awhile
        and there was a hum which I didn't think, for some reason or an other, was
        not coming from a real cheap amp I had (Supro?). I really couldn't get the
        neck back on (the center bolt broke, I think), so I took out the pickups
        (like a jerk) and before you know it, it was like thin spaghetti all over
        the place. To see what it looked like after I got threw with it gave you
        a good idea why I quit the radio and t.v. repair business (holy shi.).
        I never had the heart to throw it out, so it's still with me in many
        pieces, mold and all. Waiting for me to someday perform a miracle.
        (never happen.)

Anyway, I guess nowadays I spend most of my days watching t.v., using
        my PeaVey as a t.v. stand, and guitar always nearby. It could be any
        commercial or thought that'll get me going in seconds flat, hoping my
        landlord is not home. Although he keeps telling me one day we'll jam
        (he plays rythem and some lead. He sounds ok, but so do I, not heavy-
        duty. Although some days I feel, well, I'm even throwing in dance steps
        nowadays: where did that come from?...feels good). Always with Bookends
        (Simon and Garfunkel),or Pink Floyed (nephew copied for me) in PC ready
        to go when I am.

Anyway, getting back to my bass, Charvel that is. The screw I was talking
        about is not really loose. That's just the way the spring is (bent from
        tension). However, there really is a problem. I replaced the string
        and when tuned (using electronic tuner) it rattles (sounds like it's
        banging against the frets. There are 2 adjustments. one is a screw you
        adjust through the back (this screw goes through the center of the
        spring, one for each string, runs parallel to end of strings). This pulls
        the block the string is on back and forth underneath the string. The
        other adjustments are on top of the bridge, two for each string. This
        raises the block the strings are on, up and down. After adjusting both
        types it seems to have gotten rid of some of the rattle, but not completely.
        At least I don't dare to make them any tighter. I'm using the tuner as I do
        this because it throws off the tuning every time I adjust them (naturally).
        But I get the feeling this is not the right way. I don't want to warp the neck.
        Any more detailed ideas? Otherwise I may just wait till I gather some bucks
        and have the music guy do it (what do they charge?). Although it would be a goof to
        do it myself.

Sorry about the book.
        thanks again,

bassmint

[ March 31, 2003, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: bassmint ]

Comment

Originally posted by peabuddy:
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Unfortunately I do not know what type of body it has. I do know it is solid, red, and looks like the logo on the headpiece. I have an electronic tuner and I know how to replace strings, so I rather tune this spring myself, that's why I asked in the first place. I think I can do it. I will follow instructions and hope I do not mess it up (not to worry, I am fairly handy). Played mainly alone and never got into the mechanics of guitars.

Thanks.

From down under cooley,
          bassmint...

Comment

a model 3b is a neck thru and would have a battery for the pickups.if it's a bolt on it's probably a 2 b.
            The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Hi again;
              Then neck has four screws coming from the back, threw Charvel/FortWorth TX/serial number plate, which holds neck in place. I guess I'll be searching the book stores for a guitar repair book. This don't look that complicated that I would pay someone else to do. Not trying to put anyone in the business down, or anything like that. I'm an ex-T.V. repairman, current computer/network support kind-of-a-guy (lord have mercy on me). So I guess it'll take a little bit more before I give up. I'll be checking here from time to time, but I'll be off soon to try and find a book on the subject.

The tag that came with the guitar has 3 sections: model 4 and 6 circuitry, model 5 circuitry, and model 3B circuitry. I have the 3 controls without any switches. I couldn't find the tag when I first placed my message, but then I found it afterwards. It seems to fall in the model 3B section, but maybe the wrong tag was on it. :eyes

talk to you soon...
              massmint...

Comment

Working...
              X