Bass Trems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass Trems

I had a Carvin V440 bass with a Kahler trem, and while I dug the bass I hated the trem! It didn't have as dramatic an
    effect as a trem on guitar does, and since they didn't make a locking nut for
    it, it'd go out of tune whenever you used
    it. Since you have to route out the body
    to take the trem, once you do it you're
    stuck with it. I'd try to find a bass that has one on it, and try it to see if you like it, before deciding to cut wood
    out of an existing bass you like.

If you really want one, you'd have to get
    it off of Ebay, I guess. They retailed for a bit over $200, so look at what the
    Kahlers for 6-strings are going for and add the rarity value of the bass version.
    You could add a teflon nut and probably fabricate a lock nut to alleviate tuning probems if you really wanted to.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Re: Bass Trems

Oh it's not for me, its for our bass player. He's jealous of my dive bombs and cool harmonic things so wants to get a tremolo. So they were made but arn't made anymore?

Comment

I don't think they're made anymore, but I'm not sure. He could get the same effect with a Digitech Whammy pedal; I think they make those for bass, or the effect is in their bass multis. It'd prolly be as cheap as buying and installing a trem, and he could do it with all his basses.

Plus, when he gets bored with the divebomb effect, he'd have other sounds he could play with.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Actually the trem only had a use when you cranked alot of gain through it. Without the distortion it was unnoticable........

Comment

i've got a jackson custom shop with a kahler trem (seriel #1991) and i use it a fair amount and mine stays rock steady in tune and killer sustain.pork products were making some kahler type trems but i can't find their site anymore.
          The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Bass Trems

I've heard of a Kahler trem for basses was made. Is this true. Also if it is true, is it any good, and How much would it cost? And anything else about it

Comment

Originally posted by peabuddy:
              i've got a jackson custom shop with a kahler trem (seriel #1991) and i use it a fair amount and mine stays rock steady in tune and killer sustain.pork products were making some kahler type trems but i can't find their site anymore.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's a BASS? Does it have a lock nut?
              What is the nut made of, graphite, brass
              or....?

My Carvin bass had a brass nut, which is
              a lot of friction if you don't have a locking clamp above the nut to stop the string from slipping.

I didn't pursue finetuning the trem, because the effect wasn't that great on a
              bass guitar to me. I just stowed the bar
              in the case until I sold the bass a couple of years later.
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Yes the did use Kahler Bass Bridges (4 string). They sell on Ebay for about $350.00ish I have never used one, but I have seen them and saw Charvel/Jackson paperwork stating Kahler Bass Trem.

Comment

yea it's a bass no lock nut and i'm not sure about the nut material. it's in the gallery if you want to see it
                  The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

I had one ....very silly in my opinion ....he doesn't need one. Tell him to start tappin' and slappin' if he wants to get even with you for your unrelentless divebombs... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I installed a Kahler Tremolo on a guys Gibson Grabber bass like 15 or 20 years ago. He actually used it nicely for emulating a fretless bass. A sound that he wasn't talented enough to actually play on a fretless itself...

Otherwise, I thought it was silly. But, he still has it and I saw him doing a show with it last year.

Comment

I saw a p bass copy named fame at a pawnshop the other day and it had a Kahler bass trem. Except it was missing a saddle and the arm. It was only $99 I guess it would have been worth it if it was complete.
                        Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Warmoth has them:

http://www.warmoth.com/common/frames/bassbodies.htm
                          I have no eyes, fuck-mook!

Comment

Sorry, here:

http://www.warmoth.com/Bass/bodies/BbridgeRout.htm

Scroll down to the bottom.

[ July 24, 2003, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: KE ]
                            I have no eyes, fuck-mook!

Comment

still a very silly , useless bass tool ...IMO

but if you think it looks cool go for it [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X