Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any recommendations for a first bass?

Hello,

what are some recommendations for a bass to start off with? I'm not sure what kind of price range I'm looking at, I don't want to go too high but I also don't want some piece of junk that will make me go "this sucks!" and then quit before giving it a chance. Can something decent be found below $600?

Thanks

DRH

Re: Any recommendations for a first bass?

Yeah but they sound as bad as they look.......you could do better

[ December 04, 2002, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Horns, I think youre confusing the sound of Lemmy's voice for his bass.....It's his voice that sounds as bad as the Ricky looks......Hey, and Lemmy looks even worse.......

Comment

You got that right....Hey would recognize him wihout his warts

Those Ricks are kinda kool. I bought one because it's such a classic design . But the novelty wore off very fast. I saw Sharlee D'Angelo play em in King , Witchery and Arch Enemt ...very farty.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yah, but you just cant beat them for playability.....Thats why they are still around, and used by so many bassists. Besides, it sure sounded good when Lemmy installed a guitar pickup, and reinvented metal/rock bass........

Comment

Honestly for that price you can find my favorite bass a nice used G & L L20000 ...

There is so many choices ...for under $300 you can buy a new Carlo Bella bass ...Damn thing looks and plays nice ...Resembles an Alembic. I had one oil rubbed Walnut / maple , neck thru , gold harware , and made in the US in new York . Not bad for the money.....looks expensive but it's not.

Get to the stores and play them em all

[ December 04, 2002, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]

Comment

If you want something that plays easy, go with a used Rickenbacker. Its ugly as hell, but they have to be the easiest playing basses.....

Comment

Agreed. The Ric basses have a sound all their own, and they play great.
                As for a new first bass, the Mexico-made Fender P-Bass is great. I had one and it is very well made, sounds good, and plays good.

Or you could wait for a Jackson Pro (Concert style) import or Charvel import bass to hit Ebay. I played a C4 Jackson, and it's got a nice narrow nut width like a Fender Jazz, and is easy to play - just very very light weight.
                The Kelly bass is ok as well, but there's that balance issue for us deformed people :b

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You guys are just hell bent on Jacksons huh ?? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

hey, I like my Charvel bass [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

and it cost me about US$150

[ December 05, 2002, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: VitaminG ]
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I will just have to go out and try as many as I can.
                      [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

When I find the one I like, it won't matter what the brand is.

DRH

Comment

I bought a used Ibanez ergodyne edc 700 a few weeks ago and they are extrememy easy to play. If you can get over the fact that the body is made of luthite... which is basically a composite plastic. It sounds enormous and the eq on it can go from piano clean to believe it or not, light distortion/overdrive tones. Cool basses for the buck on the used market too. Neck is very thin. I have one of the early ones that are painted and clearcoated too. Before that I have owned 2 highend Soundgear Ibanez basses. Very thin necks and super easy to play.

My 2 cents.

Comment

Firebird how much does that thing go for. I played one and was slappin the BeJesus out of it!!!.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Get A Spector

Comment

I second the Spector recommendation, esp. an older NS2A (made in Japan) model. Great bass for the money (not more than $500-600 used), neck-through, excellent playability and sound. It also has excellent balance while wearing it with a strap - the neck stays put where you want it.

Whatever you buy, make sure you try it with a strap first so it doesn't do the headstock-dropping-to-the-floor trick when you let go of the headstock. I've seen this more often in basses than guitars since there's more more neck mass to deal with. Cracking your headstock off the floor, amp, chair, etc will not make your day!
                              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
                              X