STEVE HARRIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STEVE HARRIS

Seems like every metal bass player was influenced by him even I was somewhat...back 20 years ago!
    But as I listen to him now in hindsight I must say that he is a very average player at best. He is one the most redundant players ever , same patterns over and over. What inspired me to post this is that I'm listening to Iron Maidens X Factor right now. There is what appears to be a first for Harris a solo spot on track 8 . He can't solo to save his life , his chops are extremely sloppy , lifeless and juvenile. What seemed as awesome two decades ago sure sounds silly to me right at this moment

But still Maiden is a major Metal institution and an old love of mine......Just thought I'd share those thoughts

In Summary Steve Harris : Overrated.........can't beleive he won all those awards back when shred was in it's heyday . He don't suck but he sure in the hell is not great by any stretch

Bill Z Bass

PS Don't even get me started on Geddy Lee [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

[ November 30, 2002, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Re: STEVE HARRIS

He is a metal bass player what do you expect? Most metal bass players just use the open E, and drool. Ever listen to the bass lines in Slayer's stuff? Amonst the metal bass players, he is tops, because he can play the bass. He aint Jaco, but then who is?

Comment

I could Crush Harris or Jaco on any given day!!
      Therefore feel justified giving my honest opinion with a clear conscience.
      Michael Anthony is everything NEWC described as a perfect bassist and indeed he is , but there is no arguement when someone slams him...right
      Also I went through that whole Jaco / Berlin phase when I was a novice and mastered that stuff 20 years ago. NEWSFLASH Accept2 a great bassist can play in ANY band even a lowly metal band [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I can say as a REAL bassist that John Andrette of Racer X fame was a truly gifted player such as Billy (great right hand control who cares of that dribble he calls tapping), Pettitucci , Wally Voss , Berlin ..ect and myself. They are not among my heroes but as my peers!

Iv'e hung out with and shared licks on an even playing field with Stu Hamm and Steve DiGiogio...They probably got more out of our meeting than I did.....That's the truth [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . Oh yeah I forgot 15 years ago I was at a Gerry Peek (Steve Morris , Dixie Dregs) seminar and after the seminar I just about gave a seminar to him....he a great player and super guy

HEY where is the friggin' spellchecker around this new board anyway [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Later Biothces,

Hey I never said Harris sucks I just said I can smoke him......YES YES

Bill Z Bub

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yeah Bill, you are a great bassist. Like me, you can play as good as many pros... If we only actually "knew" what it is that we were doing, haha... We'd be awesome...

Lucky for us, in the genre of music we play, theory isn't quite as important as others...

The bass players you've played with were impressed by your fire, and out of the box technique. And probably that you were so good and not musically schooled. That's pretty rare.

What's cool about being that way, is that you will do things that a traditionally schooled player wouldn't try, because it unorthodox and isn't "right". Same reason I've got weird solo patterns that aren't normal. But, I'd be so much more awesome if I only knew what I was doing...

I kinda think you need to play and get your style going a bit before getting too contained by theory, then learn the theory to take your cool chops farther. Seems that most people that have started out with theory based playing get too contrived and uncreative.

Hmmm... I do well on guitar in my genre and impress many players, yet, I haven't a clue as to exactly what I'm doing... Somewhat embarassing...

As for Steve Harris, he's one of my favs since he wrote so much amazingly tasty material. It's not all about chops if you are creatively sucky...

Jaco and others are awesome, but bore me beyond belief...

There's definitely a big picture to contemplate, and all is not shred...

Some of the simplest things are the most pleasing... If done right...

Comment

Yeah Man ! I think you hit that right on the head...

Deleveloping your style before Theory makes peferect sense to me! Instead of the usual paint by numbers approach...Which is cool too , but with that you tend to lack Identity and unothodox creativity. Even the most Abstract ideas of schooled players sound contrived at times....just as every shredder from the 80s fell victim to be the next Yngwie,VAI or Satch or EVH . Awesome stuff but VERY redundant...until it was beat into the ground and discarded by many as over indulgent wanking.....until you felt like a tool for having those skills! Embarassed because you used to have the ability to shred......never understood that mentality [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Bill Z Bass and Bub

Where is the friggin spellchecker goddamnit!!!!

[ November 30, 2002, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]

Comment

OK you Boners!!

Iron Maiden kicks ass and Steve Harris is Iron Maiden...Yes he did inspire me at the time when it was fresh and new.....I'm just saying he wasn't that technically Godlike on his instrument...why does that sound funny [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

His bass solo still sucks on track #8 [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Can you imagine if I were to say something negative of the late Cliff Burton's playing ...Holy Crap ...They'd want to lynch me! OK I confess I never was a fan of Cliff's Playing but may he RIP

..boy you can't even be open and honest anymore without somebody having a bowel movement.....

Ahh who cares I'll say and do what I want , who's to stop me ...evil laugh ..ha haa haaaaa! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] .....aahhhh Shaatap! [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

Bill Z Boink

[ November 30, 2002, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]

Comment

Man, Bill, you sure know how to stir up the hornets nest. What's next, you'll tell us all how much Geddy Lee sucks? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I already mentioned that

It read Don't even get me started on Geddy [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And you know what else...There's no Santa. I just caught my parents sneakin' around with the gifts [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Bill Z Bummed

[ December 01, 2002, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: horns666 ]

Comment

I still don't see how your technique or style can be honestly labeled "better" than any other bassist's - I mean, yeah there's always someone better, always someone worse, but are you saying that you could do a better job as Iron Maiden's bassist than Steve Harris?
                  That's like saying you can paint a better Monet than Monet - sorry, but you cannot do better than the original artist intended. It is a physical impossibility to paint or play with more "heart" than the artist who created the original, because you do not have access to that person's inner self - the artist inside the man.

You can do things *differently*, but "better" is inherently subjective. If you recut every Maiden track and Steve Harris bowed to you and proclaimed that you alone put on tape what he *meant* to put on tape, but didn't have the technical ability, that's one thing, but I have yet to see an interview with him where he said he wished he could find a "better" bassist.

Technique is one thing, application is another - yeah you can have a deeper insight into technique, phrasing, and all that other stuff, but it is quite another thing entirely to claim and prove that you could write the bass riffs that someone "meant" to put down originally, because that is something no one except the original artist could possibly know.

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Someone with a lot of sense once told me "There is no 'best'"-and he's right. It's all subjective opinions. I love Cliff Burton, he is my favorite bassist, but Bill doesn't think much of him. That's ok-we have our opinions. There's no best or worst-only favorites.

Comment

Steve Harris won all those reader's polls for NOT being Billy Sheehan. Billy Sheehan won reader;s polls for not being a bassist.
                      A bassist's role in a band is not to just stand there and pound the roots, but it's not to compete openly with the guitars, either.
                      Harris is a great bassist, period. So what if he's not "Jaco". Guess what? Jaco wasn't Steve Harris! Coincidence?

If you want to hear "shred bass", pick up some old Racer X or DLR's Eat Em and Smile and be done with it, but Steve Harris kicks your ass, my ass, and everyone else's ass on bass.

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Damn NEWC that was pretty insightfull [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] What can I say that's a great perspective....
                        Why I am so pessimistic and cynical is beyond me?! To feel the need to criticize for constant self reassurance...that seems to be my logic.

Being too overly outspoken at times for my own good! My negativity although based on my honesty is intended to be more tongue and cheek and should be taken with a grain of salt or paprika ..I don't give a crap... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I am a sick bastage and your point is well taken

I love you NEWC ....in a good way [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Box...good point

It sure does stir the pot with some silly bastages though huh?? hee heee [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I still gonna be a bastage...Bill Z

Bill Z Bastage

[ December 01, 2002, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: horns666 ]

Comment

who care's...there bassists [img]graemlins/thebirds.gif[/img] hold the foundation down with the drummer...stay outta my way while I wail away [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

You guys hit some good points but especially about bass players being bass players...I saw Billy Sheehan and when his playing in the pocket was great...he had so much rack gear to simulate a guitar for soloing its nuts...not impressed with the soloing aspect.

I do like doubling intense runs on the bass though but for the most part...hold the rythm down
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

damn horns, it seems you can be humble at times [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Well, considering that Steve Harris was self-taught, I'd say he's pretty good.

Wasn't Randy Rhoads self-taught as well? Yet no one bashes him.

But anyways, you're right, there are a million other bassists out there that are better than Steve, but Steve's style fits Maiden perfectly, and I wouldn't change a thing.

Even Yngwie once said something like, "Sure, there are many guitarists who can play faster than me, but I play cleaner and more fluidly, and that's what makes me seem fast", or something along those lines.

And it probably seemed awesome 20 years ago because he was innovative back then. But it's hard to write neat basslines when he only plays in Em, Dm, and Am!

Comment

Working...
                              X