Fret Buzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fret Buzz

How do i cure this. My new Jackson just arrived, and its out of tune and has alot of buzz on the top two strings...

I dont have a tuner, but what do i do to cure the buzzing on the strings ?

Thanks

James Hutto

Re: Fret Buzz

Make sure the pickups arent so high that they hit the strings. if so, just adjust the screws to the sides of them until they lower enough to not hit the strings when you fret it at the highest fret (usually 24)

Comment

Originally posted by agentx0r:
      Make sure the pickups arent so high that they hit the strings. if so, just adjust the screws to the sides of them until they lower enough to not hit the strings when you fret it at the highest fret (usually 24)
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by J.Hutto:
        How do i cure this. My new Jackson just arrived, and its out of tune and has alot of buzz on the top two strings...

I dont have a tuner, but what do i do to cure the buzzing on the strings ?

Thanks

James Hutto
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Get yourself a tuner, tune up to pitch, set your intonation. If there's still buzzing, you may need a slight truss rod tweak. This should be in the tech section where more people will help you.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

All the way past the problem here....

Raise the action a tad.

Comment

In order:

1. Tune the guitar
            2. Check truss rod ajustment, adjust to correct specs.
            3. Set the action/string height
            4. tune
            5. set intonation

and of course, like the first person said, make sure your strings aren't hitting the pickups.

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful information here. I am looking forward to jamming my Jackson to hell and back, then go around the loop again @!

J. Hutto

Comment

I received a factory fresh USA Jackson last summer and had the same buzz problems. The truss rod was almost as loose as it could go, so raising the action at the bridge was the only fix.

After a few months, things settled down and I could lower the strings to an acceptable level with no buzz. Sometimes I think fresh guitars need a little time to cure into fine instruments.

Comment

Todd, absolutely!!!!! When guitars ship from California to Ft. Worth to who-knows-where, the temperature/humidity/etc. play all kinds of games with necks. When we received our JCF01 guitars direct from California in April, almost every single one was unplayable right out of the box because the necks had tightened up. After a week acclimating themselves to their new homes, they played just fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X