Question regarding cap on a pot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding cap on a pot?

My SD blackout arrived today and one of the 25k pots had a cap of sorts soldered to it? What's this for exactly?
    Also is there a way to clean up a black chrome pickup that's all scratched up?
    Pics aren't working for me atm I guess.
    In the link.

https://imgur.com/a/PYJRGl3

A capacitor is what makes a tone control work, it cuts the treble when the cap is jumping from the + signal to ground.
    As far as black chrome that is scratched, a dremmel and metal polish might due if the scratches are not to deep.

Comment

Hmmm interesting.
      I've never really looked at a tone put much seeing as my Kelly is the only one I've really opened up and it doesnt have one.
      I'll have to do some reading.
      Yeh I'm not sure on this fixing the pickup.
      I had no idea it was black chrome, in the picture it looked much like a black hard plastic style emg.
      Is it safe to paint an active pickup lol?

Comment

I have no idea how a tone pot in your Kelly would work if it is just the pot wired in by itself with no cap.
        Pickups will pick up through a cover. paint should not effect it to much.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavymetal2000 View Post
          Hmmm interesting.
          I've never really looked at a tone put much seeing as my Kelly is the only one I've really opened up and it doesnt have one.
          I'll have to do some reading.
          Yeh I'm not sure on this fixing the pickup.
          I had no idea it was black chrome, in the picture it looked much like a black hard plastic style emg.
          Is it safe to paint an active pickup lol?
          what kind of pickups/pots is in your kelly? emgs? the emg solderless setup have a small surface mounted capacitor on the pcb that the pot is wired to.

Comment

oh, I see, you're putting this in a KE-3, which has one volume control and no tone control. in that case, you want to ignore the pot that has the capacitor on it, as that is the tone knob, and your guitar will not have a tone knob, only a volume knob.

Comment

Yup going into a KE3.
              I'm assuming the guy I bought it from had a tone and volume setup so he included both with the harness and pickup.
              I was curious as I've never worked on pickups other then my KE3.

As is right now I'm already using an emg 81 so the wiring is there it's just a matter of dropping in the blackout.

Comment

Wow! I totally miss read that one. I was thinking the tone pot had no cap, not that the guitar had no tone control. don't I feel like a dork!

Comment

Working...
                X