Limits on tunings and stringe guage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limits on tunings and stringe guage

OK, I have a Jackson SL2Q which I want in either C Sharp (-3 semitones) OR, the bottom E and bottom A in C Sharp, and the rest in normal tuning (D to E). Naturally, this either request is going to result in a setup being needed. Believe me, if I had found the perfect polyphonic pitchshifter for guitar, I would not be writing this.

Having spotted a new Jackson SL7, I asked, but the store tells me I can't have a 0.60 guage on the bottom E of a 6 string without ordering a new tuner. I accept that, but wasn't buying his "needs to be 27" scale" story.

My Jackson SL2Q obviously has a floyd. I have previously had a USA WR1 in D (even though it had 11's on it), which was impossible to keep in tune.

For these reasons, I ask you, peeps of the JCF for real answers. Thanks in advance.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

If a 60 doesn't fit the tuner, just drill the tuner hole out to fit the larger gauge.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You might be able to make some use out of the d'Addario string tension calculator for your string gauges/pull
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

*By 'tuner', I am assuming you mean the tuning peg/machine head/etc. I feel stupid, as I was originally reading it to mean that your guitar tuner wasn't capable of reading a low C note.

If you are using a locking bridge like a Floyd Rose, you can put the unwound portion of your string through the tuner, and then just adjust the amount you clip off at the bridge.
        Last edited by pianoguyy; 03-12-2019, 12:19 PM.

Comment

As to the '27 inch' issue...
          I use 9-42, tuned to E or Eb. If I lengthened the scale length 1.5 - 2.25 inches, then I would be able to maintain the same tension while tuning a half or whole step down.
          It is no different than putting a capo anywhere on your guitar. Same tension, shorter scale length, resulting in higher pitch.

So, really, thickening the strings AND increasing the scale length seems like you are achieving the same goal twice, which would actually result is a much higher string tension.

Comment

This is basically the same question as in another thread last week.

With the tuning you suggesting i wouldn't go to a fatter string unless you want it. I can get any of my vintage guitars tuned to drop C if the truss rod is responsive and the neck is strait. A Floyd Rose type tremolo could present some mathematical hurdles to overcome if your not an expert at radius, saddle height and string gauges and perfect intonation/setups etc.. but here is the method :

( 1 ) You need to lock that Floyd rose down in tremolo cavity with a block of wood.. or one of those tremolo/bridge locking devises.( most important step but you can avoid this on a guitar with a responsive truss rod etc. as mentioned above )
            ( 2 ) Start from the loosest point on your truss rod and slightly tighten until you achieve no bow in the neck ( yes take the neck off for truss adjustment everytime )... use a string set with a least a low E 50+ maybe 46 for your tuning.
            ( 3 ) The EMG 85 is the best pickup ever for drop C in a live scenario... bedroom volumes/tone doesn't apply because you can fake the clearity of the lows.
            ( 4 ) I can achieve Drop C flat LOL.... B ... easily on almost any guitar if i follow my this ..my own advise.

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
            OK, I have a Jackson SL2Q which I want in either C Sharp (-3 semitones) OR, the bottom E and bottom A in C Sharp, and the rest in normal tuning (D to E). Naturally, this either request is going to result in a setup being needed. Believe me, if I had found the perfect polyphonic pitchshifter for guitar, I would not be writing this.

Having spotted a new Jackson SL7, I asked, but the store tells me I can't have a 0.60 guage on the bottom E of a 6 string without ordering a new tuner. I accept that, but wasn't buying his "needs to be 27" scale" story.

My Jackson SL2Q obviously has a floyd. I have previously had a USA WR1 in D (even though it had 11's on it), which was impossible to keep in tune.

For these reasons, I ask you, peeps of the JCF for real answers. Thanks in advance.

Comment

I appreciate the help, but "yes, take the neck off" a Soloist?
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Try it!
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                X