Floyd Rose bridge plate setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose bridge plate setups

I have a San Dimas Jackson soloist that came setup pretty well with some 9 gauge strings. I measured everything before changing to 10 gauge strings and noticed that the bridge plate didn't sit exactly parallel to the body but was back tilted just a bit. Now that I've put on 10's I've had the readjust the springs and have read that the bridge plate should be parallel to the body. This is my first floyd rose and first time changing strings/ doing a setup.

I do have a non-recessed Floyd, sitting quite high and it looks to me like the bridge posts may be leaning forward a little bit, and I've also read some conflicting accounts that for these type of guitars (neck angled, non-recessed) the bridge plate should be parallel to the neck angel/ string plane and not necessarily the body. So, it would be leaning slightly forward to set it up like that.

Well, I've done some experimenting, gone back and forth and I seem to prefer the feel and the sound I'm getting with the bridge plate leaning slightly backwards. I'm not talking huge amounts here, but I decided to use my hands and ears to tell me how I like it. With the plate level, my low e was buzzing a little bit but tightening it with the springs gives it enough tightness so it doesn't buzz. I also noticed tigher sound on the lower strings and more fluid treble strings, with easier harmonics. Also, the overall radius of the strings might have been affected as my hands seemed to be shifting from string to string a little better, as if they were more level. I also have tried to get info on setups from some of my favorite players and read that Brad Gillis liked his leaning forward a little bit for better pull up, players like Steve Vai apparantely like it leaning backwards a bit.

So it doesn't seem like it's so terrible not to have the bridge plate exactly parallel to the body, especially if you don't have the standard recessed Floyd Rose? Right now, my bridge plate seems to be pretty much where it was with the 9's and the 10's have given it some more stability so all in all it seems an improvement.

Does anybody else here not follow the norm and have their bridge plate in a different position? Have you noticed some difference in playability in having the bridge plate leaning slightly to either side?

Dude,

Open the spring cavity. There is a spring claw in there. Adjust the two screws either tighter or looser to get the bridge to balance with the different string size.

If you run out of travel, add or remove springs.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
      Dude,

Open the spring cavity. There is a spring claw in there. Adjust the two screws either tighter or looser to get the bridge to balance with the different string size.

If you run out of travel, add or remove springs.
      This. ^^^^

And remember to not go fully looser or tighter in either direction, because it'll change once you re-tune the strings.
      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Honestly, it probably doesn't matter. A little one way or the other, you won't probably notice it. Just set it up "right" so it's parallel to the body and play it for a while. Then change it to lean one way or the other to see what you like better.

Like Don said, don't tighten the plate too much or loosen it too much. Add or remove springs if you have to. You don't want your screws all the way in the guitar and you definitely don't want them with only a thread or two left in the guitar.

Just mess around with it and see what you like best.
        "Ozzy leaned forward and poked me in the eye. Then he said life's tough get used to it. That was the best guitar lesson that I got from the boss." -Zakk Wylde

Comment

I am having the same problem. I get it parallel, and it's all out of tune. I tune E and A and everything else falls out of tune. I was going circles today. I want to figure it out myself because I have 3 other Floyded guitars, but I might just have to take it to a guy. I feel like I am so close, just missing a step! Argh!
          8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

It takes a whole lot of trial and error and guestimation on the string claw. You just have to tune with the tuners and nut unlocked and keep adjusting the string claw and then retune until you get it correct. There is no easy way. Good luck. After you do it a few times it is not as big a deal as it sounds. Every time you change string gauges and tunings it will need to be adjusted for a happy Floyd.
            Last edited by hazar; 03-19-2019, 09:32 AM.

Comment

it's not that hard, just hearken back to high school and hooke's law for springs

1. note what the bridge angle is initially
              2. tighten/loosen the strings until the bridge angle has been reduced by HALF to where you want it
              3. tune to pitch
              4. that should get you awful close, but for extreme initial angles you'll want to repeat one or two more times

Comment

The proper way to setup a Floyd Rose is remove the back cover, Loosen the claw screws so the bridge just lays down. Make a shim out of wood, or coins even work, place shim in between the spring block and the body, adjust shims so the bridge is parallel to the body. At this time do not tighten the claw screws. Tune the guitar to pitch. Once tuned, remove the shims and tighten the screws until the guitar comes back in tune. Your bridge should be parallel to the body and in tune. Tune a Floyd Rose in this order.
                E-3
                A-4
                D-2
                G-5
                B-1
                E-6
                Last edited by Startingline; 03-19-2019, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X