Need Help with fret Buzz on 24th fret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with fret Buzz on 24th fret

I have setup many guitars before,but this is the first time this has ever happened to me. I set my neck relief to .004 and tried to set my action low and I am getting fret buzz on the last fret 24th. No matter high or low action this still happens. I took it to a tech yesterday and he said the neck has too much relief and to straighten the neck dead straight. I did this and there is still buzz. The Guitar I am having issues with is a 2011 Charvel Skatecaster SK1-FR, it is a neck through guitar. I have posted a video on You Tube to hopefully get some answers, but no one has replied. Here is the link if anyone can help. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIrcI-jgoRQ

Sounds like fret 24 is a little high... File it down a little and it should fix your issue.

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
      Sounds like fret 24 is a little high... File it down a little and it should fix your issue.
      +1 this is exactly what i was thinking too. Also, you can take a short straight edge to lay across 3 frets, if it rocks you've found your high fret in the middle. Not sure how to check when your at last fret tho
      Last edited by z1n; 02-22-2019, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a high fret. Read up and proceed with caution, typically you would block file the last few frets. Also fire that tech.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I though it was the fret. I have gone up and down the fret board and their are many high frets. Looks like I need to do a fret level again. The tech that told me it was the neck was the owner of the store and the tech.

Comment

Just the 24th fret, if all the rest are good... lowering the 24th fret will not affect the other 23 frets in anyway so no need for a full fret level. If it was the 12th fret or any higher than 24 then it could cause issues if it was filed to low but that's not the case with the last fret on any guitar.

Comment

Thanks man for the info. I ended up just doing a full fret level there were alot of frets that were high other then the 24th fret. I got the action down low 1.50 bass side and 1.25 treble side, guitar plays like a dream now.
              Last edited by SylentCommando; 03-20-2019, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X