Floyd Rose Pro Allen wrenches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Pro Allen wrenches

This has been driving me nuts, and I'm sure there's a simple explanation I'm missing. It came time to change strings on my Floyd Rose Pro, but I can't seem to find an Allen wrench that fits the screws at the saddles that hold the strings in place. Thinking maybe I'd threaded the screws last time I did this, I ordered a new set of screws from Floyd Rose. Still no dice. 4 new sets of Allen wrenches later, and still nothing fits. Would someone mind confirming that they screws are 3mm Hex please?
    My other signature says something funny

the saddle lock screws? the pro comes with 2 mm, 2.5 mm, and 3 mm wrenches so I'd assume the lock screws take a 3 mm key. how is the key not fitting? too big or too small? if the key seems just a little too big, sometimes those new screws can have a really tight hex socket. you might have to coax the key in there with some wiggling.

Comment

Yeah, the saddle lock screws. The 3mm feels too small, but the 4 is way too big. If I put the key in at an angle I can feel it get a little purchase, but nowhere near enough.

Comment

Try 1/8 inch or 9/64 inch keys.

Comment

I had the same problem Cliff. Use a standard set. I don’t know why but those screws aren’t metric. Just weird.
          "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll give that a try over the weekend.

Comment

Thanks again, guys. Turns out 9/64ths was the one. Weird for a German part.

So while doing this I decided to swap out my normal gauge - 8s - for 10s. And now the trem base plate is lifted, raising the action. I've screwed the spring claw back as far as it will go, and there are already three springs on there, with no room for a fourth. Is it possible to get springs with a higher tension? FWIW, I always thought the idea that thicker strings had better tone was bullshit, but no... these sound miles better, with harmonics popping out and turning what used to be a weedy guitar into something quite beefy.

Comment

Yes there are higher tension springs as far as i know. Also you might want to check the relief of the neck if you are going from 8s to 10s. And usually you should be able to fit even 5 springs in there not sure what you are dealing with there.

Comment

Thanks Ed. There are five holes in the temblock, but only three claws on the piece screwed to the body. The claws are two shallow and/or close together to allow two springs to be attached the same claw. And thanks for the reminder about neck relief: I'd forgotten about that.

Comment

It's hard to imagine how SAE parts could get into this equation somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                      It's hard to imagine how SAE parts could get into this equation somehow.
                      Well, the short answer is that some of FR Pros, at least some of them made in the early 90s, were made for FR by an American company (Kahler). The longer answer on how I came to this conclusion I posted 16 years ago, which I found using APMW in the search function! Post#5 from this thread:
                      https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/65...highlight=APMW
                      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

That is strange that only these would be SAE, but weirder things have happened. I guess you just need two complete sets of everything.

Comment

Working...
                        X