Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless steel frets and sanding

What's up !

I'm im the process of changing the frets on my SL2H, and got into this dillema.

I sent the guitar to a trusted tech on my town, and he gave me two options: Stainless or normal frets.
    I'm inclined to go stainless, but the tech said he would have to sand the fretboard in order to level it and do the stainless job, but in the process the serial # could be lost.
    I usually lurks here and Jackson made in USA facebook and haven't saw/heard of someone loosing a serial cause of sanding. I fear loosing some value on it if i can't track it by serial etc...

Please guys help me out decide!

Thanks in advance,

Gabriel

Stainless frets sound brighter. I had a neck with them and didn't like it. Plus I wouldnt want him sanding my serial number. I would just go jumbo/normal

Comment

You have to sand fretboard even with normal frets. When old frets are pulled wood fibers move upwards or splinter and then they have to be pressed down and glued back in. Fretboard has to be leveled for new frets to install properly. Ebony is prone to splintering even if you remove old frets carefully.

The idea is to remove as little material as possible when leveling is done.

I would go stainless because they last way longer than normal frets.

Comment

All three of my Carvins have stainless jumbos and I'll never look back if given a choice. These permanently feel like I just did a fresh polish on them. If they sound brighter in the least, you can't prove it by me.
        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I agree, stainless steel frets are off the charts sweet!! Smooth and bright looking forever. My Carvin JB200C has Jumbo stainless steel frets. No tone difference that I notice. Been playing it over a year regularly and there isn`t even a scratch on the frets.

Comment

If you intend on keeping the guitar, stainless steel means never needing to new frets again.

Comment

Thanks for the opinions. I think i will go stainless!

Comment

Have them on both of my Carvin builds and had them put on my '95 Hamer and love them.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  Have them on both of my Carvin builds and had them put on my '95 Hamer and love them.
                  I would like to have a few of my guitars re-fretted and am going to have to find somebody that does stainless steel frets. Any reccomendations TJ?

Comment

I had a local guy here in NJ do the Hamer a few years back for relatively cheap. Www.hywaymusic.com
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Cool man-Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bielzaoo View Post
                        I'm inclined to go stainless, but the tech said he would have to sand the fretboard in order to level it and do the stainless job, but in the process the serial # could be lost.
                        This makes no sense to me. You would have to sand the fretboard the same amount for either type of fret when doing a re-fret. How could you sand less for normal frets?

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                          I would like to have a few of my guitars re-fretted and am going to have to find somebody that does stainless steel frets. Any reccomendations TJ?
                          If you are still in PA...
                          Wood Shed Guitars in Carlisle

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                            If you are still in PA...
                            Wood Shed Guitars in Carlisle
                            I am in Pittsburgh. It seams all the good luthiers are on the other side of the state!!

Comment

Working...
                            X