What parts do I need??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What parts do I need??

building a parts mutt so to say...... The 80s monster guitar I wanted that they never made.

Charvel single hum, kahler, reverse headstock and maple board....

So far I have a J90c fot the pickup, an original mid 80s kahler in good shape and a toothpaste reverse headstock maple boarded neck.

For the body, I think Im am going KNE SD body, what wood?? Also all I want is a volume knob, what do I need electronic wise? 500k pot? what brand stuff? I want really good quality stuff as far as the pot, jack etc, Do I need anything besides the pot and jack? a cap of some sort??

The neck is already cut for a floyd nut, so it looks like Im stuck going that route instead of regular nut and kahler lock, Is there a sourse for the flip style floyd nusts?
    A few Charvels, a bunch of Jacksons, JVM full stack, valve king half stack and an 4000 watt PA for a home stereo, my neighbors love me....

500 kohm audio taper or log taper pot is what you want. any brand should function the same, but if you want a nice smooth feel I'd go with an Alpha or CTS. I think most would agree CTS is the highest quality choice. Switchcraft jacks are the good stuff, too. Don't forget the jack plate and screws, pickup ring/screws, humbucker mounting screws/springs, wire, string tree (because Floyd nut), knob. Not sure if you have tuning heads sourced yet. No cap is needed for single volume configuration, but you can add one later if you find the pickup too bright. I've never played the J90, but as with all the C varieties I might be worried about brightness if you're omitting the tone knob.

Didn't even know they made Floyd locking nuts in the flip-lock style, but if you using an old Kahler, I'd get some replacement parts for it right away: tension springs (you're supposed to replace these periodically), allen key set to keep in the case, also check if any of the adjustment screws have stripped heads or look worn out. Since it's an old bridge make sure you have the two pairs of mounting wood screws. The best place to get Kahler stuff is https://www.whammyparts.com/. I'd probably oil the saddle rollers and stuff while the bridge is out, too.
    Last edited by metalhobo; 09-30-2018, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X